Magnetic North Theatre Festival Student Conference

Denis Salter denis.salter at MCGILL.CA
Sat Mar 3 07:12:51 EST 2007

>From Myrna Wyatt Selkirk

Magnetic North Theatre Festival is starting to develop a student conference.  To that end we plan to hold a 1/2 day session on June 16, 2007 in Ottawa and then expand it to a fuller conference in Vancouver in 2008.  Our hope and expectation would be that students would come to Magnetic North, see all the shows and come to the 1/2 day session to discuss and reflect on this festival and theatre in Canada.  Sarah Stanley from Concordia University is bringing a group of students to the festival who will do a reflection piece on the last day as part of this session.  If students from other institutions are interested in becoming involved in this performance report please contact Sarah Stanley by March 15, 2007 at sstanley at alcor.concordia.ca.

For the second session students will be able to voice their own thoughts as well as engage with theatre artists.  Various artists who have participated in the festival will also be invited to attend.  Specific questions for the Charting the Course session will be worked out as we work with a group of students to plan the session.  If you have a particularly eager student who would like to be in Ottawa for the festival and is interested in being your school's representative please put them in contact with me.

This is the rough shape of the day thus far:

FUTURE FLASHING: Student Performance and Forum   Director, Teacher and former Artistic Associate Sarah Stanley engages theatre students in a lively and provocative response to Magnetic North.

COMPASS POINTS - a performance report! Brought to you by Concordia theatre students, this is a culmination of an intensive investigation into the depth and breadth of the fifth annual Magnetic North Theatre Festival.  June 16 at 2:00 PM. Location TBA.

CHARTING THE COURSE A student led forum discussing the future of the Magnetic North Theatre Festival. Hear from the incoming and outgoing leadership teams and find out what the next generation thinks!  June16 at 3:30 PM. Location TBA.

      Student Pass

     TOTGA w/pass

      Gold Pass (8 shows TOTGA Extra)
      $ 79.00
      $ 17.50

      Silver Pass (5 shows TOTGA Extra)
      $ 59.00
      $ 17.50

      Bronze (3 Shows TOTGA Extra)
      $ 39.00
      $ 17.50

TOTGA is the show from Electric Company and The Only Animal called The One That Got Away. It takes place in a pool and is not included in any of the passes due to limited seating and the cost of the show. The student Pass Rate for TOTGA is $17.50 on top of the price of the Pass.

The Gold pass will get you into the Industry Series and ancillary programming (not Master Classes).

Please pass this information on to interested students and instructors in post secondary institutions.  If you have questions you may contact me at myrna.wyatt.selkirk at mcgill.ca

" . . . we have to accept that our tragedy lies always in our past, that we have to live with our ancestors' folly and suffer for it, just as they, in their turn, suffered, and as we, through our vanity and ignorance, ensure the pain and suffering of our own children. How to correct history, that's the thing."--Robert Fisk
____________________________________
"In 2005, the world . . . pass[ed] the trillion-dollar mark in the expenditure, annually, on arms. We're fighting for $50 billion annually for foreign aid for Africa: the military total outstrips human need by 20 to 1. Can someone please explain to me our contemporary balance of values?" --Stephen Lewis.
Denis Salter
Professor of Theatre
McGill University
853 Sherbrooke St. West