Fw: CBC Archives newsletter

Michael Wallace mwallace at THEATREMUSEUMCANADA.CA
Thu Mar 22 13:31:42 EDT 2007

CBC Archives NewsletterDear colleagues-
I don't know if I was the only one, but I asked the CBC Archives if they could focus their weekly newsletter on theatre (for world theatre day).
Look!

Michael Wallace
Executive Director, Theatre Museum Canada
416-413-7847
e-mail:    mwallace at theatremuseumcanada.ca
website: www.TheatreMuseumCanada.ca

                        Recommended this Week - March 22, 2007

                        The Stratford Festival: The First 50 Years
                         The Stratford Festival grew from humble beginnings in a leaky tent into a revered institution. The drama festival has continued to attract actors, critics and theatre-goers from around the globe. Paradoxically, this almost proved to be its undoing. With international directors at the helm in the...

                         8 TV clips  11 Radio Clips

                        Michel Tremblay: L'enfant terrible of Canadian Theatre
                         Michel Tremblay exploded on to the stage in 1968 with his highly acclaimed and controversial play Les Belles-soeurs. His brutally honest portrayal of the Montreal working class revolutionized Quebec theatre. Writing in a street dialect called joual, Tremblay's beautifully flawed characters resonated beyond borders and languages. His works have...

                         6 TV clips  8 Radio Clips

                        Karen Kain, Prima Ballerina
                         When a journalist addressed Karen Kain as "prima ballerina" in 1974 the dancer quickly corrected him: "I wouldn't go that far." Kain didn't know at the time that she would one day become Canada's most popular dancer. The ballerina from Hamilton went on to draw ovations from international audiences,...

                         7 TV clips  4 Radio Clips

                        Educational activities
                        Introductory Activity, All Grades
                        Who Is Brian Mulroney?
                         To explore the place of Brian Mulroney in Canadian history and politics

                        Subjects: English Language Arts, History, Political Science, Social Studies

                        CBC Archives topic: From Cheers to Jeers: The Mulroney Years

     World Theatre Day
                        is March 27.

                        Our Pick of the Week
                        Erich Schmidt, Archives Web site Encoder, likes:
                        Dangerous catch of the day

                        Industrial waste and cancerous chemicals lead to a ban on commercial fishing in parts of the Lakes.

                        Taken from the topic: Troubled Waters: Pollution in the Great Lakes

                        What is your favourite clip? Write to us!

                        Question of the Week
                        Who was the distinguished Supreme Court Justice that believed Louis Riel received an unfair trial?

                        You'll find the answer here...

www.cbc.ca/archives
Visit Radio-Canada Archives website: www.radio-canada.ca/archives

We welcome your comments about this newsletter or anything you see on our site.

This message was sent to you by cbc.ca. Click here to unsubscribe or change your e-mail address.

© CBC 2007. All rights reserved.
Privacy policy