difficulties in publishing plays

Ric Knowles rknowles at UOGUELPH.CA
Mon Jan 14 20:50:31 EST 2008

Hi Dachuan Lu (and everyone),

I wonder if there is funding through diplomatic sources (in Canada or
China) for this type of translation and exchange? I know that the
Canadian Government has (to our shame) recently cut back dramatically
on funding international arts initiatives, but China does seem to be
an emerging "market" (and therefore "target") in the government's mind
(if it can be called that), and it may be possible to capitalize on
that. And there may be options through China as well. I suggest that
you contact our colleague at UCLA, Yan Haiping(<yan at TFT.UCLA.EDU), for
advice on how to approach folks in China about such things. It would
be wonderful to see this happen.

Best,

Ric Knowles

Quoting ?? <dclu at YEAH.NET>:

> Yes, it's quite important to publish plays. I think this is also
> true in China. But perhaps you don't know how difficult to publish a
>  play in China. The most difficult part is the cost barrier.As you
> know, every book must have an ISBN,right? But publishers will
> usually charge the author about 2000 US$ for that number (it's not
> cheap in China). Together with some other charges like 'editing
> fee(700 us$)', printing fee(starting from mim of 2000 copies in
> general so of 2700-3000 us$), the total publishing fee for a play of
>  200,000 words will reach up to 5400-6000 us$). Probably the
> publisher will say 'This kind of stuff will not sell well in the
> market and so you will almost publish yourself--, that is, you pay
> all the fee. I feel sad about this.
>
> You may ask "Why could not you get support from the government? from
>  the university?
> Well, that seems to be a good idea. But not in China. If you know
> how many routines you have to go through and how many people you
> have to beg for a drop of water, you will mostly just give up trying!
>
> And I am not adding royalties here.!!
>
> How much does it cost to publish a play in Canada?
>
> If I can solve this problem, I will be more willing to translate and
>  introduce Canadian plays to China....
>

> Dachuan Lu
> School of Foreign Languages
> Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics
> 100083, Beijing
> dclu at yeah.net

Ric Knowles
Professor of Theatre Studies