UBC Graduate Theatre Programs

Jerry Wasserman jerrywas at INTERCHANGE.UBC.CA
Wed Jan 23 13:41:37 EST 2008

*UBC Graduate Theatre Programs Extend Application Deadline and Offer
Increased Aboriginal Student Support
*
The University of British Columbia Department of Theatre and Film has
extended its deadline for applications to the MA and PhD. Theatre
Studies Programs to *February 1*, and is excited to announce that the
Faculty of Arts at UBC is now offering full funding to aboriginal
students who qualify for admission to our programs.

Located in a vibrant, multicultural city and within a leading research
institution and dynamic local theatre scene, Theatre at UBC is committed
to creating theatre and drama that engages diverse communities and
cultures. Its MA and PhD programs build on the expertise of its academic
faculty to focus on Modern British, American, European and Canadian
Theatre, Dramaturgy, Activist Theatres, Theatre Audiences, Theatre and
Health, Performance Theory as well as Theatre History, Historiography
and Theory more broadly defined.

Our graduates have become academic professors and scholars, educators,
cultural policymakers, dramaturgs and other professional innovators
capable of engaging with the fundamental cultural discourses and
problems of our time. Graduate students in our program have the
opportunity to be taught and mentored by faculty in Theatre Studies and
a wide range of scholars with theatre interests in cognate fields (Film,
Geography, English, Classics, Women’s Studies…). Students also have the
opportunity to learn from the acclaimed production skills of the broader
UBC Theatre Department and are required to take at least one course
which brings them into contact with the department’s MFA Design and
Directing students. Both the MA and the PhD involve thesis work and
writing, activities that benefit from the strong library research
resources available at UBC. Both MA and PhD students at UBC benefit from
Teaching and/or Research Assistantships and all graduate students are
supported in their efforts to secure national scholarship funding for
their studies.

For further information please see:
http://www.theatre.ubc.ca/programs_phd.shtml
or contact Professor Kirsty Johnston, Graduate Chair
(kirstyj at interchange.ubc.ca)