In Toronto

Rick Sacks rixax at VEX.NET
Mon Jan 28 21:18:32 EST 2008

I don't usually promote events on this list but I believe that this
independent production at Tarragon is a rich, imaginative piece of
political theatre.

Here are the details.  I strongly recommend this work.  It is well
written and the acting is superb. Details can be found at
www.canadasteel.info/

Rick Sacks

Synopsis
Canada Steel is a new play by J. Karol Korczynski that traces the
disintegration of a Greek Canadian steelworker's family in Hamilton
over the course of the Stanley Cup Final.  Yes, the Maple Leafs stand
on the threshold of a long awaited victory.  Hope must truly spring
eternal.

But all is not well in the Leaf Nation.  The Red Wings are not dead
yet.  The mighty steelworks have closed.  Mental illness has visited
hearth and home.  And a pension and benefits plan accrued through
decades of hard labour has suddenly been suspended.  Does salvation
lie with the union?  With a lonely call centre worker in India?  In a
beautiful mural rescued from the dust of the demolished factory?  Or
in a night of vicious reprisal?

This gripping tragi-comedy, standing in the best traditions of Shaw,
Odets and Fo, drives through to its terrifying conclusion whilst
examining the impact of an unrelenting globalization on the lives of
people that could be your neighbour - that could be you.

Starring two time Gemini nominee Daniel Kash and directed by Graham
Cozzubbo, acclaimed director of Canada House.

Canada House Artistic Cooperative Presents:
CANADA STEEL
Written by: J. Karol Korczynski

Directed by: Graham Cozzubbo

Featuring: Daniel Kash, Brian Marler, Alison Woolridge, Charlotte
Gowdy, Pragna Desai

Lighting: Michael Walton

Sound: Rick Sacks

Production Designer/Set/Costumes: Brent Krysa

Dates: Friday, February 1- Sunday, February 17, 2008

Times: Tuesday - Saturday 8pm, 2:30pm Sunday Matinees

Ticket Prices: $25 Tues-Sat;  Sunday matinees Pay What You Can at Door

Venue : Tarragon Theatre Extra Space,

30 Bridgman Avenue, Toronto

(near Bathurst & DuPont)

Box Office Number: 416-531-1827 or Book On-Line at:  totix.ca

Contact Person for Groups:: Karol Korczynski at bixdjango at yahoo.ca