Job Opportunity at University of Queensland

Luella Massey l.massey at UTORONTO.CA
Wed Jun 4 17:21:15 EDT 2008

The Drama Program at The University of Queensland is currently searching
for a new member of staff and I am writing to inquire if you know of any
early-career colleagues or recently completed PhD graduates who would be
interested in a full-time, continuing (that is, tenure-track) position
in Brisbane, Australia. Please feel free to circulate this message.
            The program teaches a broad-based suite of theatre history
courses. The focus is on theatre through time and space, as well as
dramaturgy. While we are not an actor-training program, we do have
performance courses (where students spend a semester mounting a
full-scale, public performance) at advanced levels. All of our tutorials
take place in a theatre, so classes are performance-focused. We seek a
dynamic teacher (with teaching experience), but we recognise that many
applicants will not have experience with the kind of teaching that we
do. Australian universities teach Drama in workshop mode, in order to
help students learn from seeing scenes in action, or, for instance, from
performing for their peers the same scene in two different ways. We are
happy to consider the applications of people who do not have such
experience but who would be willing to learn workshop-mode teaching.
            The University of Queensland is one of the top universities
in Australia, with a strong research record and a commitment to quality
teaching. In the London /Times Higher Education/ world rankings in 2007,
UQ achieved 45^th place for the study of arts and humanities. We thus
seek someone with a good research track record (at the minimum, several
articles already accepted in quality journals), and who shows the
promise of a robust, continuing research program. We have deliberately
not specified research expertise in a particular research area.
            Experience with supervising research higher degree students
would be an advantage. Directing or dramaturgical experience could also
be an advantage. The Drama program is housed in the School of English,
Media Studies, and Art History. The School’s website is:
_www.emsah.uq.edu.au_ <http://www.emsah.uq.edu.au/>.
            Brisbane is Australia’s third largest city, located on the
east coast. The theatre scene in Brisbane is increasingly lively, with a
state professional company, another professional company committed to
new and Australian work and a number of smaller part-professional
ensembles as well as a cultural centre hosting major national and
international work in theatre, opera, and dance.
We are looking for someone to begin work in 2009 as possible (semesters
in Australia begin late February and late July), although we must still
finalise a formal advertisement for the position. We would also hope for
a commitment to living in Australia for several years at least. I am
very happy to answer any questions about this position.  Interested
parties are asked to get in touch with me directly, preferably by email
(_j.tompkins at uq.edu.au_ <mailto:j.tompkins at uq.edu.au>).

Best, Joanne

Professor Joanne Tompkins
School of English, Media Studies, and Art History
University of Queensland
Q 4072  AUSTRALIA
Phone: Int'l + 617 + 3365-1435
Fax:      Int'l + 617 + 3365-2799