student course credit for performance work

Amy S. Green amysgreen at COMCAST.NET
Tue May 13 14:42:10 EDT 2008

My campus has no theater major, but we do have a production course.
Students get 3 credits for participation in a show as actor, technician,
designer, or in a producing function, such as publicity or house management.
Actors in small roles take on production duties to flesh out the course.  I
think the directors require a journal or other reflective writing
assignment.  We have found that students show up at rehearsals and come
through in other ways more reliably now that they know there is a grade
attached to their contribution.

Amy Green
John Jay College of Criminal Justice
New York

-----Original Message-----
From: Canadian Theatre Reserach [mailto:CANDRAMA at LISTSERV.UNB.CA] On Behalf
Of Erin Hurley, Prof.
Sent: Monday, May 12, 2008 4:32 PM
To: CANDRAMA at LISTSERV.UNB.CA
Subject: student course credit for performance work

Dear Colleagues,

I'm wondering if any of you know of programs where undergraduates may
receive course credit for work they do on a show (as actor, designer,
dramaturg, etc.) and for which they are not receiving credit otherwise (as
in the case where students in the stage scenery and lighting class must run
the mainstage show, for example).  We would like to institute such a
"Performance Practicum" course at McGill and are gathering information on
other university programs/departments that already grant course credit for
production work.

With thanks in advance for your assistance,
Erin Hurley
McGill University