Query

Ric Knowles rknowles at UOGUELPH.CA
Fri Nov 28 09:24:37 EST 2008

Dear Candrama,

I have a request from a Canadian PhD Candidate at the University of Chicago to be put in touch with people working in 19th-Century Canadian theatre. His specific project is outlined below. Please contact Michael Meeuwis directly at <mmeeuwis at uchicago.edu>:

"I'm revising a dissertation chapter on nineteenth-century theater
in the Victorian colonies; I want to make sure that my
material on Canada is in line with what other people in the
field have written. The quickest way to summarize the chapter
is probably to quote my dissertation abstract (which I'm also
attaching in full, should it be of interest):

"The theater’s evocation of a field of everydayness was
particularly important for Victorian subjects living overseas.
My concluding chapter triangulates theatergoing and theater
production in England with records of military personnel
stationed in Victorian Anglo-India and of civilian colonists
constructing the new city of Victoria, British Columbia. As
their diaries and letters show, average citizens brought
theatrical texts such as "Cox and Box" (1847) and "San Toy"
(1899) to the colonies as a coat of phenomenological primer,
which allowed audiences and performers to map domestic
certainties onto the frequent disjunctions of colonial life.
Seeking to detach these performances from their essentially
negative place within metanarratives of nascent nationalist
idealism, I show how overseas Britons used the theater to
realize the typical cultural certainties of late-Victorian
life."

Thanks all,

Ric

Professor of Theatre Studies