Call for Papers: ASLE Panel on "Theatre in an age of Eco-Crisis"

ncgray ncgray at UVIC.CA
Wed Oct 1 17:18:23 EDT 2008

Call for Proposals: Proposed Panel for 2009 ASLE Conference

We are seeking presenters for a panel, “Theatre in an Age of Eco-crisis,”
to be proposed for the eighth Biennial ASLE conference, June 3-6, 2009 at
the University of Victoria in Victoria, British Columbia.

This panel is being formed to address the ramifications of a central
question: How are theatre artists, producers and scholars responding (or
how might they respond) in our ecological era?

Panelists might frame their answers to this question in a number of ways:

* Through eco-critical readings of contemporary plays and performance;
* By bringing attention to
    >plays and performances that address issues of environmental justice
    >plays and performances that support & promote an eco-centric worldview;
* Through the exploration of eco-centric approaches to playmaking,
         performance training, directing or design;
* By considering the extent, range and/or effectiveness of eco-critical
approaches to theatre and performance;
* Through examples of sustainable practices and the minimization of carbon
footprints in the planning, production and touring of performances;
* With reference to
    >applied theatre
    >site-specific dramaturgy
    >art/science collaborations;
* Through an examination of environmental activism as a form of theatre;

Or with respect to any other aspect of theatre scholarship, production,
training or practice.

Presentations related to the conference theme, "Island time: The Fate of
Place in a Wired, Warming World" are invited, but a variety of approaches
to issues concerning ecology and theatre are equally welcome.

Papers, interviews, reviews and scripts that address these same issues
will also be considered for a future issue of Canadian Theatre Review that
will focus on performance and ecology in Canadian theatre.

Please send an abstract (maximum 250 words) of your proposed presentation
to Sheila Rabillard (rabillar at uvic.ca) and Nelson Gray (ncgray at uvic.ca).

The deadline for submission of proposals is October 31st, 2008.