Change of Call For Propsosal deadline forCarol Shields Symposium

Luella Massey l.massey at UTORONTO.CA
Fri Sep 19 11:10:01 EDT 2008

Text Box: Inaugural Carol Shields Symposium on Women's Writing: Festival
of Voices University of Winnipeg, Winnipeg, Manitoba, May 8-10, 2009
Call for Proposals DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION - October 31, 2008

*
*

*
*

*
Where Are We Now: Margins and Moves in Women's Writings*

Carol Shields earned critical praise for extending and crossing
boundaries, for bringing to the centre of serious literary examination
those aspects of women's lives that had been "in the margins." In a 1990
interview with Harvey DeRoo, Carol spoke of setting out to "write the
kind of novel (I) can't find on the library shelf" and of experimenting
in her short fiction with "different narrative approaches." She also
told of resting comfortably with her movement from genre to genre and
from a woman narrator's perspective to a man's (/Larry's Party/). In her
words, "there is always some refreshment in taking a different
perspective." In honour of Carol and her creative impulses we invite
Symposium presentations on any of the following:

*Issues and Ideas for Examination:*

-          Where do we find the influences of Carol Shields in current
writing by women?

-          What aspects of women's lives still remain "in the margins"
of literary enquiry?

-          What needs to be written that "isn't on the library shelf"?

-          What different perspectives and new narrative approaches are
now appearing in women's writings; i.e. are there identifiable "moves"
in current women's writing?

                                                         * *

We are also interested in the ways that organized social movements--the
women's movement and feminism, in particular--have opened up space for
women to work, live, and create. Some avenues of enquiry in this area
could be:

-          How have these movements themselves altered or expanded, who
do they now speak for, and how do their principles and energy play out
in Carol's work or in other writing by women?

-          How has the women's movement connected, healed, or split
generations of women?

-          How can we carry forward legacies created by women who have
written and struggled within the margins?

*Format and genre considerations:*

-          Presentations and discussions can relate to a variety of
_genres_: women's life writing (personal narratives, memoirs, and
autobiography), fiction, poetry, and creative nonfiction.

-          _Formats_ to choose from include panel or round-table
informal discussions, two-person collaborations, instructive/writing
workshops, poster sessions, short theatrical pieces, and spoken-word
performances.

-          _Possible time allocations:_

(a) *20-minute individual presentation, *to be combined with others
similar or complementary in content to form a 75-minute session;

      (b) *75-minute panel presentation, *limited to 3 speakers; or

      (c) *50-minute alternative session* (performance, instructive
workshop, poster session,

      two-person collaboration or informal roundtable discussion)

* *

* *

We are particularly interested in gathering a diverse group of
participants at this symposium. We warmly invite submissions from
established and emerging writers, academics, undergraduate scholars, and
members of working-class, LGBTQ, Aboriginal, and immigrant and refugee
writing communities.

* *

*Please _submit_ proposals according to the information required sheet
that follows:*

*Inaugural Carol Shields Symposium on Women's Writing: /Festival of Voices/*

University of Winnipeg, Winnipeg, Manitoba, May 8-10, 2009*//*

*_Submission Information Requirements_*

* *

*FORMAT AND EQUIPMENT*

* *

*I:  Indicate which of the following formats:*

            [  ] Individual presentation (20-minutes)

                                    OR

            [  ] Panel (75-minute blocks with 3 presenters)

                        OR

        Alternative Presentations (50-minute blocks)

[  ] Poster Session (presenters will have opportunities to meet and
interact with

      conference participants) **

            [  ] Roundtable (informal discussion of ideas)

[  ] Seminar (prearranged discussions of shared readings or topics)

[  ] Workshop (instructive programs or exercises)

[  ] Arts & Performance (literary reading, art exhibit, theatre,
video/DVD/film

            [  ] Other alternative presentation format (please specify)

*II:  State any specific space and equipment needs:*

* *

* *

*III:  Specify technology/audio-visual needs: *overhead projector,
proxima, or internet connection? (Note: we will try our hardest to
provide equipment, but can't guarantee we can fill all needs).

*
*

*IV:  Presenter Information: *Please supply the following information
for _each presenter_. (The first presenter listed with panel
presentations will be the one contacted.)

First and last names:

Affiliation:

Address:

City, Province/State, Postal Code/Zip Code:

Country:

Telephone:

Email:

Access needs for presentation:

Biographical information (75-100 words):

* *

* *

* *

*PROPOSAL*

* *

* I:  Title:*

* *

* *

* *

*II:  Summary description of the presentation (250-500 words):*

Please include a narrative description of the work (what are its
purposes? what approaches, genres, subject, discussion questions,
delivery, methods, techniques, or theories will be used?); a discussion
of how the work relates to the conference theme; and a description of
how the work will be made accessible to a variety of audiences. Panel
proposals require a 250-word abstract describing the panel as a whole,
as well as a 250-word abstract for each participant (1000 words total
for panel abstracts only).

*
*

*III:  Submission*

*_ _*

 Please print off *three* copies of this form and mail it to:

Carol Shields Festival of Voices
c/o Debbie Schnitzer
Department of English
University of Winnipeg
515 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3B 2E9
Canada

In addition, *email* one completed copy of this form to
festivalofvoices at uwinnipeg.ca <mailto:festivalofvoices at uwinnipeg.ca>

*Due date* for submissions (email and postmarked print submissions) is
*October 31, 2008.* Presenters will be notified of acceptance by email
in December 2008.

* *

* *