FW: SSHRC

david ferry appledor at SYMPATICO.CA
Mon Feb 23 12:00:29 EST 2009

Thought you all might be interested in the petition that Ross Manson refers
to.

David Ferry

  _____

From: ross manson [mailto:volcanoAD at gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, February 22, 2009 7:57 PM
To: ross manson
Subject: SSHRC

this petition was forwarded to me. as i was a scientist (long ago), i am
outraged by language trying to focus all research grants in Canada towards
business. this is the antithesis of true scholarship.

anyway - see if you agree...

ross

*

Dear Canadian friends, colleagues and associates:

I am forwarding a petition in support of SSHRC (Social Sciences and
Humanities Research Council) currently being circulated by Niki Ashton (NDP
MP). I hope you can all find a minute to sign this petition as this federal
conservative directive has the potential to reduce significantly the support
for university students and faculty engaged in scholarship in the social
sciences and humanities, education, environmental studies, fine arts and
other areas not directly pertinent to business. The text of the petition is
included below: to add your name, just follow the link at the bottom.

Please circulate widely.

To the House of Commons in Parliament Assembled

We, the undersigned residents of Canada, wish to bring to your attention the
following:

For more than thirty years, the Social Sciences and Humanities Research
Council (SSHRC) has been promoting and supporting university-based research
and training in the humanities and social sciences. SSHRC funding has been
used to complete ground breaking research in countless areas in Canada and
around the world.

The Federal Budget presented on January 27th contains a sentence that has
the potential to halt this kind of research: "Scholarships granted by the
Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council will be focused on
business-related degrees".

These measures are backward and insulting to the thousands of Canadians that
are students and researchers in the social sciences and humanities.

THEREFORE, we petitioners are calling upon the government to remove this
sentence from the 2009 Budget and ensure that SSHRC funding not be allocated
to one specific discipline but to the range of studies in the social
sciences and humanities.

to sign:

 <http://nikiashton.ndp.ca/sshrc> http://nikiashton.ndp.ca/sshrc