Fwd: Theatre Survey Call For Papers

Ric Knowles rknowles at UOGUELPH.CA
Tue Jul 7 19:04:40 EDT 2009

Dear all,

See below,

Cheers,

Ric

Professor of Theatre Studies
University of Guelph
Guelph, Ontario, Canada
N1G 2W1

ph: 519-824-4120, x52931 (w)
FAX: 519-824-0560
email: rknowles at uoguelph.ca

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: newsletter at astr.org
To: rknowles at uoguelph.ca
Sent: Tuesday, July 7, 2009 5:49:28 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Theatre Survey Call For Papers

Dear Ric,

Theatre Survey invites submissions for a special issue dedicated to recent critical approaches to the historiography of opera. What are the challenges of researching the history of opera today? To what extent are new formats like live transmissions in “High Definition” transforming our perceptions of the genre? How is our understanding of operatic composers, singers, directors, and productions of specific works being inflected by recent developments in performance, gender, queer or cultural studies?

What are the genealogies of operatic practices in the Americas (North, Central, and South, plus the Caribbean), Africa, or Asia?  Can we speak of a “renaissance” of opera in the United States?  What has been the relation of opera to other arts? What has been the impact of opera in dramatic literature or film, and vice-versa? Is there an “acting style” specifically designed for operatic singers?

Our primary interest for this issue is to showcase how contemporary historians and theatre scholars confront and renew the study of opera at the beginning of the twenty-first century.

Please send full papers (25-40 pages) in electronic format (Microsoft Word Document) to Leo Cabranes-Grant (Associate Editor) at CabranesASTR at aol.com and include a brief abstract of the essay (ca. 250 words). Be sure also to follow our “Submission Guidelines” as stated in the Theatre Survey   web page ( http://www.astr.org/Publications/TheatreSurvey/tabid/101/Default.aspx and also at  http://journals.cambridge.org/acti o n/displayJournal?jid=TSY .)

Deadline: October 1, 2009.

http://journals.cambridge.org/tsy