Request for anecdotes about 'aesthetic arrest'

Will Weigler wweigler at UVIC.CA
Sat Jun 6 17:32:59 EDT 2009

Dear CanDrama members,

For my doctoral project at the University of Victoria I am looking for stories from anyone
who has ever witnessed a single brief moment onstage that prompted among the spectators
a sudden and unexpected emergence of deeply felt insight, or the radical re-assessment of
a long-held assumption. One can only speak with certainly about personal experience, but I
am especially hoping to identify moments in which the observer sensed that many people in
the audience seemed to be reacting similarly and simultaneously. I will conduct a grounded
theory study of a wide variety of these rare moments of “aesthetic arrest” to investigate
the conditions that may contribute to their effectiveness. The aim of the research is to
develop a theory and conceptual language that will enable artists working in collaboration
with community members to share knowledge about how to orchestrate these powerful
moments of theatricality. If you have a story or stories you can contribute, please visit my
research website: www.aesthetic-arrest.com.

Thank you