CATR call for proposals for a special session on Graduate Education & Professionalization

Scott, Shelley s.scott at ULETH.CA
Fri Jun 12 16:40:18 EDT 2009

Call for proposals for a special session on Graduate Education and Professionalization

The Executive of the Canadian Association for Theatre Research/Association Canadienne de la Recherche Théâtrale announces a special session to be held at our conference in 2010 at Concordia University in Montreal (May 28-31).

The session, on Graduate Education and Professionalization, is being organized as a response to recent hiring trends in theatre and drama across Canada. How are Canadian students currently being prepared to meet the challenges of the job market? What can we do better to improve our students' chances of getting the interview, and then getting the job? How do candidates from within the Canadian system stack up against candidates from abroad - either in terms of perception, or in terms of preparedness? What can we do to address any inequities that currently exist?

We are looking for speakers who fit one or more of the following categories:

1. professors who supervise graduate students and/or heads of graduate programs

2. individuals with extensive experience on hiring committees

3. current graduate students or recent graduates

4. individuals that graduated with a PhD in theatre but have found a career outside of academia

5. professors who chose to do a PhD outside of Canada

Participants will be asked to give a short, 5 to 10 minute, presentation. A moderated discussion will follow.

Those interested in participating in this special session are invited to contact Executive Member Christopher Grignard at Grignard at ualberta.ca <mailto:Grignard at ualberta.ca> .