Call for Submissions: Feminisms in Canada and Quebec, 1960-2010

Luella Massey l.massey at UTORONTO.CA
Mon Mar 9 16:29:04 EDT 2009

*Capturing Our History:*

*Feminisms in Canada and Quebec, 1960-2010*

*The Project*

We intend to publish a multi-volume collection of books that tries to
depict accurately the richness and diversity of feminist activity in
Canada and Quebec between 1960 and 2010. The books will be written by
many different authors, and presented in many different formats:
autobiographies, biographies, single- and multi-themed volumes, edited
collections, plays, novels, etc. The unifying feature is that the books
will be centrally-edited and marketed as part of a comprehensive series.

* *

*Why 1960-2010?*

Feminism has a history that predates the 1960s and will continue long
after 2010. However, historical documentation has to start and end
somewhere.

We picked the 1960s as a start date because that decade ushered in an
unprecedented upsurge of feminist activities that have been
characterized as “the second wave” of feminism (following the “first
wave” of feminism from the late 19^th to the early 20^th century.) The
1960s witnessed the founding of the Voice of Women, the appointment of
the Royal Commission on the Status of Women, and the creation of a large
number of “women’s liberation” groups across the country.

We selected 2010 as an end date, not because we think the activities of
the “second wave” will be complete then, but because this marks the
50^th year of our movement’s collective history, and it seemed a natural
“pause” point for documentation. With the death of one of feminism’s
most celebrated activists, Doris Anderson, in 2007 we have been reminded
of the urgency of compiling our recollections about this important and
transformative social movement before others who have been centrally
involved die or forget what transpired.

*What will the books cover?*

The diversity of feminism, including the complexities of gender, race,
class, geography, culture, dis/ability, language, sexual identity, and
age are central to the project.

We intend to publish 20+ books between 2010 and 2030. The topics we hope
to cover will include:

· the history of feminist organizations (local, regional, national,
direct service, topical etc.),

· autobiographies/memoirs/biographies of individuals who have been
involved in the movement,**

· feminism in politics & the public service, **

· feminists in business, the professions, the workplace, unions,**

· feminism in art and sports,**

· feminism in social and human sciences,**

· feminism in reproductive issues and health,**

· feminism in education, religion, science, international affairs, **

· feminism and the media, **

· and a host of other issues as suggested by potential contributors.**

* *

* *

*Publication & Marketing Format*

We anticipate that this series will be widely read and widely
accessible, and that it will provide a marvelous opportunity for diverse
writers to come together to join in the chronicling of our history for
posterity.

We expect to publish a minimum of one book a year, beginning in 2010. We
will try to select feminist publishers, and anticipate using a variety
of publication venues in accord with the wishes of our authors. We
expect that all books will be published *in both* hardcover and
paperback. The hardcover copies will be bound with uniform covers and
spines that mark each one as part of a larger “collection.” The
paperbacks can be more diverse, with different covers and formats. We
also intend to make some or all of these books available in digital
format on the internet.

The hardcover “collection” will be marketed as a series, much like a
“book of the year club.” We hope to sign up thousands of feminists in
Canada and Quebec as “members” of Our Feminist History Book Society, a
built-in purchasing group for the books we will be publishing. For an
annual fee of $75-100, members will receive the selected “book of the
year.” Other books published in the series that year can be purchased as
“optional extras.” The paperback books will be sold separately in
commercial bookstores and outlets.

*Who Is Involved in This Project?*

The project is still in its preliminary formation, and has benefited
from the input and assistance of a variety of feminists to this point:

Marguerite Andersen

M. Elizabeth Atcheson (Co-Editor)

Constance Backhouse (Co-Editor)

Monique Begin

Mary Breen

Susan G. Cole

Margaret Conrad

Shelagh Day

Francine Descarries

Margrit Eichler

Ursula Franklin

Lorraine Greaves

Sylvia D. Hamilton

Danielle Juteau

Linda Kealey

Michele Landsberg

Tracey Lindberg

Meg Luxton

Diana Majury

Lorna Marsden

Maureen O’Neil

Francine Pelletier

Judy Steed

*How to Participate in this Project*

If you would like to be involved in the discussions about how this
project should be developed, we would be pleased to hear your comments,
suggestions, and ideas.

If you would like to discuss writing a book, or part of a book, please
contact:

M. Elizabeth Atcheson meatcheson at sympatico.ca
<mailto:meatcheson at sympatico.ca>

or