interspecies

Gerhard Hauck g2hauck at UWATERLOO.CA
Thu Oct 1 11:50:29 EDT 2009

The production of Kleist's The Broken Jug I saw at the Berliner Ensemble
last week (directed by Peter Stein, with Klaus Maria Brandauer playing
Judge Adam) had live chickens on stage at the top of the show. From what I
could gather this was to emphasize both the rural nature of the setting as
well as the lack of order and "cleanliness" with which Adam runs his
court.  The chickens were chased off stage by the two Maids in the play.

Gerd (on sabbatical in Berlin)

Gerd Hauck, PhD
Associate Professor and Chair
University of Waterloo