Call for Panelist--ATHE Panel on Queer Media

Frank Miller frnklin2001 at ATT.NET
Mon Oct 5 16:19:52 EDT 2009

Call for Participants

ALIVE AND KICKING (BACK): Queering New Media

Queer playwright RM Vaughn creates video diaries that with personal
issues with short-form, often abstract pieces taking advantage of the
medium's potential.  Other queer artists have incorporated video into
their work, created interactive websites that function as electronic
performance spaces or embraced video as a source of income or a means
of keeping theatrical works alive beyond their initial performances.

I am preparing a presentation on Vaughn's videos and would like to
place it within the context of an LGBT Focus Group panel on other
queer theatre artists using media in some way to enhance their
artistic careers.  Ideally, the panel would consist of artists and
scholars representing a variety of different approaches to using media
and would feature clips representing the range of forms available to
queer artists in new media.  If you have done artistic work or
research in this area and want to share it with those attending ATHE
2010, please contact me at frnklin2001 at yahoo.com by October 20.

I plan on requesting a DVD player and monitor and a day pass for RM
Vaughn, who has agreed to attend the conference.  Since there is a
$500 limit per panel on grants, that leaves enough to request one day
pass and two session passes or five session passes.  Please be clear
in your request to participate whether you will need a guest pass and
what type of guest pass you will need.  I want to be able to include
as many artists as possible, so if I have between three and five
requests for session passes, I will give them priority on a first come
basis.  If there are two or fewer requests for session passes, I will
be happy to consider a day pass, again on a first come basis.
"Life is too short to knit with crummy yarn."
--Martha Thomases, www.comicmix.com

Frank Miller
Frnklin2001 at att.net