Black Theatre Workshop Archives Now Online

Denis Salter denis.salter at MCGILL.CA
Fri Feb 5 11:34:07 EST 2010

40 Years of BTW Now Online

 Join the BTW family during Black History Month as we unveil 40 years of Black Theatre Workshop history onto our brand new website. We invite you to our 40th Anniversary Website Launch Party featuring surprise appearances from key individuals that have made BTW a success story, a navigation of our website and the chance to mingle with prominent actors, and theatre practitioners. The Launch party will be on February 10th from 12 - 1 p.m. at the Mai Café, 3680 Jeanne Mance. For more information please call 514-932-1104 ext. 226 or go to our website www.blacktheatreworkshop.ca.

"Black Theatre Workshop has an incredible 40 year history to share! "Tyrone Benskin, Artistic Director, Black Theatre Workshop

Unveiling a website with hundreds of articles, videos and footage from our many BTW shows, workshops and events is a great way to reveal an important part of Canadian  theatre - African-Canadian theatre, which now lives on through education, and research. Join us at the launch party for the chance to mingle with some of BTW's onstage and offstage stars from almost half a century. The launch will feature an online navigation of our new archival website, speeches from important figures attached to BTW's success, and special guests and friends of BTW. We will also serve wine and BTW inspired appetizers throughout the event.

The 40 years of BTW archives collection captures never before seen moments from BTW's long and acclaimed legacy. This new archival section opens new doors for educating young and old on important parts of African-Canadian theatre.  The 40 years of BTW website includes videos, pictures and interviews from actors, directors, musicians, administrators and artists from the 1970s to the present, basically everyone who made Black Theatre Workshop a 40 year success story.

BTW is the longest-surviving and most established Black theatre company in Canada thanks to continued commitments to artistic excellence, to social relevance, to audiences and to the company's ability to adapt as a self-renewing arts organization. Since becoming a fully professional company, BTW has been involved in spoken-word and innovative performance work, in addition to community-based work, plays by established Black and non-black playwrights, and commercially-viable productions. Our works are presented primarily in English, occasionally in French, and we have toured inside and outside of Québec. For more information on Black Theatre Workshop go to our brand new website www.blacktheatreworkshop.ca.

-30-

For media enquiries please contact Ashley Belmer - Marketing and Development Director 514-932-1104 ext 223 marketing at blacktheatreworkshop.ca

Ashley Belmer

Marketing and Development Director

Black Theatre Workshop

3680 Jeanne-Mance, Suite 432

Montreal Quebec H2X 2K5

514-932-1104 ext 223

514-932-6311

"They were neither one thing nor the other; neither Victorians nor themselves. They were suspended, without being, in limbo." Virginia Woolf, Between the Acts.
"It's not about force, it's about technique."--Natasha Salter 3 February 2010

Denis Salter
McGill
853 Sherbrooke St. West
Montreal, QC