LYRIC CANADA 2010: Final CALL FOR PAPERS

David Vivian david.sceno at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jul 20 08:36:18 EDT 2010

LYRIC CANADA 2010
October 21-23, 2010
Brock University and the Shaw Festival, Niagara, Canada
Final CALL FOR PAPERS

Lyric Canada 2010 has been receiving proposals for academic papers, hybrid paper/performances, and showcase presentations for this inaugural international conference. A wealth of intellectual and creative inspiration has been shared by contributors from across the country and abroad. We are delighted to offer a few remaining opportunities to scholars, artists, producers, and educators to propose programme contributions.

Lyric Canada 2010 will provide a forum for the discussion of historical and contemporary expressions of all forms of lyric theatre. Current programme themes include:
• Challenges and discoveries in hybrid lyric performance.
• Research and examination of emerging compositional technique and technology.
• Lyric theatre activating and revealing social and political engagement.
• Identities and ethnographies in lyric theatre. The signature of the Canadian voice. The expression of contemporary diversities.
• Regional and seasonal production trends, including the phenomena of the festival and the desire to mythologize regional histories.
• Challenges of creation and production.
• Models and strategies in pedagogy for the lyric arts.
• Recording our lyric histories. The challenges of building the archive and maintaining access to the wealth.

Please send abstracts (<250 words) or proposals (<500 words) in English or French to the Chair of the Organizing Committee, Professor Virginia Reh, at info at lyriccanada.ca by August 01, 2010. Proposals from scholars, researchers, students, and practitioners, are welcome.

Abstracts, proceedings and conference-related material will be published in Volume 12 No. 2 (Spring 2011) of the Brock Review. A separate call for papers for the Brock Review is also posted on the website at www.lyriccanada.ca

The conference will take place at Brock University in St. Catharines and at the Shaw Festival in Niagara-on-the-Lake. The conference will be inspired by our Plenary Speakers, including two renowned creators of the North American lyric stage: Jim Betts (Colours in the Storm, Thin Ice) and Stewart Wallace (Harvey Milk, The Bonesetter’s Daughter). The Conference will be distinguished by evening Showcase presentations of new lyric theatre, including a special presentation of excerpts from Maria Severa by Jay Turvey and Paul Sportelli with members of the Shaw Festival company. A separate call for showcase proposals is posted at lyriccanada.ca.

Publishers, promoters, agents and other members of the profession are welcome. All expressions of interest should be directed to info at lyriccanada.ca Please visit our website at lyriccanada.ca for further information.

Lyric Canada 2010 is a collaboration between the Department of Dramatic Arts of the Marilyn I. Walker School of Fine and Performing Arts of Brock University, the Shaw Festival Theatre. Other key collaborators include Tapestry New Opera Works and Script Lab.

***PLEASE CIRCULATE***