Women in Canadian Theatre

Hanrahan, Gail gail.hanrahan at ULETH.CA
Sat Jun 26 17:18:20 EDT 2010

Sharon Pollock

Gail Hanrahan
Assistant Professor
Theatre and Dramatic Arts
University of Lethbridge
(403) 332-5230

________________________________

From: Canadian Theatre Research on behalf of David Ferry
Sent: Sat 26/06/2010 2:13 PM
To: CANDRAMA at LISTSERV.UNB.CA
Subject: Re: Women in Canadian Theatre

Joy Coghill first female Artistic Director of a major regional theatre (Vancouver Playhouse) commissioned one of the most influential plays in the development of modern English Canadian plays (The Ecstasy of Rita Joe ) first woman artistic director of the National Theatre School of Canada -Order of Canada.

Amelia Hall-first Canadian actor to speak at Stratford (Lady Anne to Alec Guiness in Richard 3 in first production) and head of influential Ottawa theatre company in early 50s (Canadian Repertory Theatre-first year round professional theatre company). This company was the early home to William Hutt, Chris Plummer, William Shatner, Donald Davis, Eric House, Ted Follows, David Gardner and many others.

Sue Kramer-actor and co-founder of influential Globe Theatre in Regina (died in 1978)

Dora Mavor Moore-influential Toronto actor and teacher.