Women in Canadian Theatre

Moira Day mjd707 at MAIL.USASK.CA
Mon Jun 28 11:23:19 EDT 2010

Hi Louise,

I don't know how early you would want to go with pioneers, or if groups of
people rather than individuals can be credited, but I would suggest

Gwen Pharis Ringwood and Elsie Park Gowan as early Western Canadian playwrights
who developed a national and arguably an international profile

The Ursuline nuns who were the first women in Canada to produce and possibly
even write drama in the European tradition

The women provincial drama extension workers 1932-70. (Elizabeth Sterling
Haynes, Gwen Ringwood and Esther Nelson in AB, Esther Thompson and Edith
Sinclair in MB,Florence James and Mary Ellen Burgess in SK and Dorothy Somerset
in BC. And arguably Dora Mavor Moore as part of her long career.)