Eight Men Speak - contemporary productions

Moira Day mjd707 at MAIL.USASK.CA
Sat May 22 12:51:32 EDT 2010

Hi everyone,

I was just trying to get a sense of what contemporary productions of Eight Men
Speak have been done since 1983.

I know of the 1983 Halifax production, but lack details about where and when it
was done, the name of the company and whether it was reviewed. I've also
tracked down a reference to the GCTC considering it for their 1982-83 season
before going with George Walker instead; a record of Tarragon Theatre doing a
staged reading in 1998; a production by a Vancouver collective, MediaRare, at
the Pacific Theatre, Vancouver in August, 2001; an unconfirmed University of
Victoria student production, and an adaptation, Eight Muslim Men Speak, done as
part of a political festival in Toronto in May 2009.

Can anyone help me with details about the 1983 Halifax production, give me more
information about the UVic production, and draw my attention to other
productions, staged readings, etc. that I might have missed? I have already
checked the University of Guelph Workers Theatre on-line collection, checked
several leftist theatre websites and tried doing a literature and newspaper
database search, but because school, university, community theatre and festival
productions often fly under the media radar, I may have missed some I should
know about.

I'm asking in line with a paper presentation I will be giving in early June. Any
help that people might give me with this either on or off-line would be much
appreciated, and I will share any additional information I find with CANDRAMA.

Thanks

Moira