[Fwd: CFP: Graduate Student Conference -- Transnational Futures? Shifting Borders and the Dynamics of Diaspora]

Luella Massey l.massey at UTORONTO.CA
Fri Oct 15 13:00:00 EDT 2010

*Call for Submissions – Please Circulate Widely*

_ _

*_TRANSNATIONAL FUTURES? _*

*_Shifting Borders and the Dynamics of Diaspora_***

Centre for Diaspora and Transnational Studies Graduate Student Conference

The Robert Gill Theatre at the University of Toronto

*Friday, March 25 – Saturday, March 26, 2011*

Diaspora studies often fixates on the past.  Themes such as nostalgia,
memory, loss, and longing loom large in the field.  What changes as we
turn our gaze to the future?

This conference is dedicated to exploring the futures of diaspora; the
futures of the nation-state (and other defined territories); the futures
of the people located within, without, and among these boundaries, both
real and imaginary; and the futures of the emerging field of diaspora
and transnational studies.

The University of Toronto’s Centre for Diaspora and Transnational
Studies is proud to host this conference to facilitate collaboration
across disciplines.  We hope to foster the future of scholarship in this
field, with our university’s world-class resources and the natural
laboratory of the multicultural city of Toronto.

We encourage the submission of scholarship and artistic media (including
papers, videos, performances, and installations) on themes including,
but not limited to:

- (re)imagining diaspora and transnationalism
- indigeneity and political borders
- asylum, internally displaced persons, and refugees

- the economics of transnational movement
- language, identity, hybridity, and multiculturalism
- literary, visual, and performing arts

- health, the body, gender and sexuality in the diaspora
- religion and spirituality across borders
- environmental practices and concerns
- international education and the transnational child

- crime and criminality
- nostalgia, authenticity, tradition and the stability/mobility of culture

*Please send a one-page C.V. and an abstract of no more than 250 words
to transnationalfutures at gmail.com
<mailto:transnationalfutures at gmail.com> by November 26, 2010.*

For more information, visit our website
at http://groups.chass.utoronto.ca/transnationalfutures/