MA in Theatre Theory and Dramaturgy, University of Ottawa ; issues of bilingualism

yana meerzon ymeerzon at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 5 16:51:21 EST 2011

Study in English, or in French, or in Both !
MA in Theatre Theory and Dramaturgy
Department of Theatre, University of Ottawa

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

While we’re quite used to the nuances of working in the bilingual environment of the University of Ottawa, we realize that our colleagues and potential students from across the country might be unsure as to what ‘bilingual’ actually means in terms of the programs we offer. And so…

The Department of Theatre, University of Ottawa, offers a two-year program leading to the degree of Master of Arts (MA) in Theatre (Theatre Theory and Dramaturgy).

This program allows students to follow a program of study exclusively in either English or French. The language of the cohort changes every year, meaning that if in one year an English-speaking cohort is accepted, in the next year, the cohort will be a French-speaking one. The Department of Theatre will be accepting an English-speaking cohort in the fall of 2012 (next academic year).

In other words, you can study in the language of your choice but take full advantage of the University of Ottawa’s bilingual and bicultural learning environment.  Furthermore, all students may submit written work (including course papers, exams, and final thesis) in the language of their preference. Every time a student is accepted into the MA program, the Department assigns a supervisor fluent in the language of that student’s preference.

Additionally, the MA in Theatre Theory and Dramaturgy also welcomes candidates who self-identify as bilingual students. These students can enter the program at any time.  Bilingual students can take from 50 to 100 percent of their courses in their second language if they choose.

Our next application due date is January 15th 2012 and for more information on how to apply, please consult:
http://www.theatre.uottawa.ca/eng/program_masters_information.html

If you have any questions about our programs, we’ll be delighted to answer them.  Please contact Dr. Yana Meerzon, Director of Graduate Studies, at ymeerzon at uottawa.ca.

Seasons’ Greetings!

Yana Meerzon, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Director of Graduate Studies
Department of Theatre, University of Ottawa
135 Séraphin-Marion, Room 304B
Ottawa ON Canada, K1N 6N5
Telephone: 613 562-5800, ext. 2243
E-mail: ymeerzon at uOttawa.ca