Symposium on Scientific Mind in Performance & Culture - January 22nd

Christopher Jackman jackman.chris at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jan 15 14:54:27 EST 2011

Greetings,

For the benefit of any members in the GTA, there's an exciting symposium
taking place next weekend at Hart House - please feel free to come join us.

Cheers,
Chris

--
Christopher J. Jackman
Ph.D Candidate, Graduate Centre for Study of Drama

-- -- -- --

   Centre for International Health, Dalla Lana School for Public Health

*in collaboration with the *

Graduate Student Alliance for Global Health

&
University of Toronto Graduate Centre for Study of Drama & University
College Drama Program
*present a symposium on *

*The (Scientific) Mind in Performance and Culture*

*The symposium will feature presentations, workshops, and open discussions**
**led by distinguished panellists each of whom are uniquely** **exploring
the integration of mind, science and culture through performance.* *Attendees
from a broad range of** **disciplines are encouraged to attend
and contribute to  as we consider its implications for both 'scientist and
artist.'*

*Saturday, January 22nd, 1pm-4pm
Debates Room, Hart House*

*RSVP to **elayna.fremes at utoronto.ca**  Attendance is free but space
limited.*

Advances in the study of cognition have profoundly changed our understanding
of how the mind works, carving a sophisticated new pathway into studies of
philosophy, technology, and aesthetics.  We invite you to join us as we
consider how these advances, explored through performance, can impact issues
of health and global citizenship.

The study of consciousness is a rigorously interdisciplinary
pursuit, embracing academic disciplines as diverse as cognitive
linguistics, sensorimotor
theories of perception, and artificial intelligence, just to name a few. And
yet, consciousness is an ever-present phenomenon: we are continually
challenged to “re-imagine” specialized, academic knowledge in order to carry
it across institutional boundaries into the frontiers of global culture.

At the cross-roads of politics and aesthetics, of social consciousness and
bodily health, theatre is the activity par excellence for exploring such
frontiers.  Performance creates a cultural laboratory where the artist can
propose solutions to problems, or reframe them in new, useful critical
contexts. Performance allows us to adopt a scientific perspective on the
human mind without empirically isolating it from that which makes us human.