Symposium Jan 22, 1-4pm - The (Scientific) Mind in Performance and Culture

Christopher Jackman jackman.chris at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 21 10:33:36 EST 2011

Greetings all, just a reminder about the symposium we're holding tomorrow at
Hart House, including a list of our presenters.  Hope to see you there!

Cheers,
--
Christopher J. Jackman
Ph.D Candidate, Graduate Centre for Study of Drama

----- ----- -----

Centre for International Health, Dalla Lana School for Public Health

*in collaboration with the*

Graduate Student Alliance for Global Health  &

University of Toronto Graduate Centre for Study of Drama & University
College Drama

*present a symposium on*

*The (Scientific) Mind in Performance and Culture*

*Saturday, January 22nd, 1pm-4pm*

*Debates Room, Hart House*

Advances in the study of cognition have profoundly changed our understanding
of how the mind works, carving a sophisticated new pathway into studies of
philosophy, technology, and aesthetics.  We invite you to join us as we
consider how these advances, explored through performance, can impact issues
of health and global citizenship.

The study of consciousness is a rigorously interdisciplinary
pursuit, embracing academic disciplines as diverse as cognitive linguistics,
sensorimotor theories of perception, and artificial intelligence, just to
name a few. And yet, consciousness is an ever-present phenomenon: we are
continually challenged to “re-imagine” specialized, academic knowledge in
order to carry it across institutional boundaries into the frontiers of
global culture.

At the cross-roads of politics and aesthetics, of social consciousness and
bodily health, theatre is the activity par excellence for exploring such
frontiers.  Performance creates a cultural laboratory where the artist can
propose solutions to problems, or reframe them in new, useful critical
contexts. Performance allows us to adopt a scientific perspective on the
human mind without empirically isolating it from that which makes us human.

Featuring:

*John Mighton* - *The High Cost of Intellectual Poverty: How myths about
talent and intelligence are slowing human progress*

*Fiona Griffiths** - Beyond Acting: Living the play through physicalized
image streams***

*Kerry Segal & Nicholas Stedman** - **Performance, the Body and Technology*

*Shea Wood** - Re-Framing Combat-Related Difficulties: Role and drama
therapy***

      Plus roundtable discussion, and a special presentation by *Lauren
Gillis*

*Attendees from a broad range of disciplines are encouraged to attend*

*RSVP to elayna.fremes at utoronto.ca  Attendance is free.*