Updates and Info for CATR/ACRT 2011 Fredericton

Scott, Shelley s.scott at ULETH.CA
Mon May 23 17:30:11 EDT 2011

________________________________

From: lfalken at unb.ca [mailto:lfalken at unb.ca]
Sent: Mon 23/05/2011 2:34 PM
To: Scott, Shelley
Subject: Updates and Info for CATR/ACRT 2011 Fredericton

Hello, fellow CATR members,

As you prepare for your trip to Fredericton for our 2011 conference, we are finalizing our plans to host you here. I'm writing to pass on a number of important bits of information about the conference, so please read this message carefully and be sure to send any questions you might have to me at lfalken at unb.ca

We have a fantastic conference lineup showcasing some of the Canada's finest theatre artists from the Maritimes, including keynote addresses by playwrights Don Hannah (the pride of Shediac, NB) and Nova Scotia's Catherine Banks, winner of the Governor-General's award for Drama, as well as bilingual actor/playwright/political commentator/comedian Marshall Button, one of New Brunswick's most popular performers. In addition to all of your excellent papers and panels, of course, as organized by our conference committee headed by Reina Green.

What else is there to see and do? Well, let me tell you:

Plays to see: There are two productions running during Congress.
Macbeth in Odell Park, by that fine Maritime playwright William Shakespeare, is running nightly from May 28-June 2. This outdoor production by Fredericton company Bard in the Barracks is a remount of a hit show that wowed audiences last year. A mobile production set amidst the rugged old-growth forest of Fredericton's largest park, the show sees audiences led on a torchlit hike through the forest as the action of the play occurs all around them. You may have seen some good Macbeths before, but probably not anything quite like this! To sample some images from the show, visit  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P20gjA_oHBA <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P20gjA_oHBA>

Advance tickets, available at www.regonline.com/macbeth are recommended as seating is limited and last year's run sold out. If you're planning to attend the play, I'd recommend packing some warm clothing to wear (perhaps a parka, given the spring we've had) and some good walking shoes that will keep your feet warm and dry. And a raincoat, just in case. Tickets are $10-$14.50 plus booking fee. Full details on the show (and how to find it) are available at www.bardinthebarracks.wordpress.com <http://www.bardinthebarracks.wordpress.com/>

The other production you can see while in town is Monster by that other fine Maritime playwright Daniel MacIvor, who also needs no introduction to you lot. MacIvor's disturbing and compelling one-man show is being performed by talented local performer Scott Shannon, who has made MacIvor's one-man shows a personal odyssey in recent years, having performed Here Lies Henry, House, and Wild Abandon.

Monster is being performed in Memorial Hall on the UNB campus (same space as our main meeting room). For those in town early, there are performances at 8 PM on May 26 and 27, plus 3 more during our conference: May 29 and 31 at 8 PM, and May 28 at 4 PM. Tickets are $12 regular, $8 for students and are available at the door. For more details on the show and company, visit http://nastyshadows.wordpress.com/ <http://nastyshadows.wordpress.com/>

What else: There are a number of free concerts taking place in town, as well as the Congress-sponsored Maritime Kitchen Party and Lobster Boil (cause that's what we Maritimers do best: play our fiddles in the kitchen while eating lobster!) taking place nightly at the Convention Centre. You need to book tickets for that one in advance (and the deadline to book your lobster may already have passed). Visit the Congress website for details on that one­and note that this is not to be confused with the CATR banquet, on which more details below.

Not being burdened with distractions such as busy nightlife and high-end shopping, Fredericton's greatest attraction is its natural setting. I highly recommend some time spent enjoying the sights (walking or renting a bike) on the city's extensive trail system that runs along our two rivers, the Saint John and the Nashwaak. For anyone who will be renting a car and staying in the area for a while, I'd also recommend a visit to King's Landing Historical Settlement, a thirty minute drive west of town, which is a top-notch attraction. The Bay of Fundy is also a mere hour's drive away. I believe you might also be able to find some information on Congress-supported tours to the Bay and Hopewell Rocks.

Back to more on the conference:
Navigating campus and Fredericton: Please note that our meetings are taking place in Memorial Hall. This is not to be confused with Alumni Memorial Hall, which is next door... Our main meeting room is on the main floor, directly in front of you as you enter the building. Our other two rooms are upstairs on the second floor. Also note that there is no elevator in the building, so it would be good to alert us if anyone has mobility challenges.

Congress is going to be the largest event in Fredericton's history. All may well go well, but if there are problems I expect it will be in the areas of transportation and dining. Shuttle buses and taxis might be swamped. If so, my word of advice is plan to hoof it instead. The city is so small that there's few places you can't get in the space of half an hour on foot­from campus to downtown and some of the hotels­though some are further flung. Restaurants might be packed as well, so here's a headsup about that.

The CATR banquet: is taking place on the evening of Monday, May 30 at Brewbakers Restaurant on King Street. I believe that we have to give them final numbers by Thursday, so if you have not already registered, you need to do so before arriving­if you wait to register for it in person here you may be out of luck. Also note that you must register for the banquet on-line­we can't take payment for it here in person.

All banquet arrangements are now in the hands of my co-organizer, David Ingham, so for questions regarding all things banquet, please contact him at dingham at stu.ca

Further on the subject of food and drink: we regret to inform you that there won't be coffee available before the start of sessions in the morning: so be sure to caffeinate at breakfast. Coffee (and the usual other things) will be available at mid-morning and mid-afternoon breaks for you to refuel. Box lunches will be available for a cost on May 28 and May 31, with the Playwrights Canada Press lunch/lauch on May 29 and Talonbooks lunch/launch on May 30.

Also please note that we will not be offering bottled water (this includes for speakers) so please bring a reusable water bottle to fill at our conveniently located fountain ... and see the art exhibits next door to us to see why we can't offer bottled water!

Thanks for your patience in making it to the end of this message and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Len Falkenstein
Local organizer, CATR 2011
Director of Drama, UNB