CFP: Critical Creative Pedagogy Seminar @ CATR 2012

James McKinnon james.mckinnon at UTORONTO.CA
Tue Oct 4 16:26:48 EDT 2011

Call for Participants: Creative Critical Pedagogy Seminar

CATR/ACRT Conference 2012, University of Waterloo and Wilfrid Laurier
26 ? 29 May 2012, University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

On the CATR Professional Concerns On-line blog, Glen Nichols notes
that ?the chasm that has been driven between teaching and research in
the academy [has] very serious negative repercussions on higher
education.?  This project invites proposals that bridge that
conceptual chasm and create productive intersections between teaching
and research, creativity and criticality. We will focus on developing
links between teaching and research ? not only by seeking ways to
bring our research interests into the classroom, but also by
approaching our teaching practice with the critical rigor and
reflective process that characterizes our research.

During the period of this project (November 2011 ? May 2012),
participants will develop, share, and evaluate teaching and learning
strategies for post-secondary drama and theatre contexts. We will
focus in particular on strategies that exploit the potential of
theatre to stimulate creative and critical thinking ? a goal shared by
all drama and theatre academics and educators, from scenographers, to
theatre historians, to acting instructors.

Each participant will design and conduct a teaching experiment that
addresses this problem in their specific teaching/research context,
assess its effectiveness, and report on the results. During the
process, we will connect regularly through a blog, to exchange ideas,
methods, resources, and results. Participants will be expected to
collaborate through and contribute to our blog, and to attend the
seminar at the CATR/ACRT Conference in Waterloo, 26-29 May 2012. In
the weeks leading up to our meeting in Waterloo, we will invite
auditors to read part of our discussion in order to enrich the seminar.

We invite proposals from scholar/educators in all areas of
post-secondary drama and theatre. Prospective participants should send
a bio along with a 250-word proposal to james.mckinnon at vuw.ac.nz by 15
November 2011. Your proposal should briefly describe how you propose
to address the challenge of developing critical and creative thinking
in your particular teaching/learning context.