More Sad news

Brian Morton mortonbg1999 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 17 12:36:49 EST 2012

I am very sorry to hear this.   I had the privilege of studying under
Jean Roberts (and her partner Marigold Charlesworth) while a student
at NTS is 1987.

She was a lively person who fostered much debate.   I recall many
lunch conversations  on the subject of Canadian drama (and TV) and
even Sidney Newman and DR WHO..  Even though she was forty years
older, she was keen and interested in other points of view.   Also as
she had followed the Stage Management route to becoming a director -
she directly inspired me ins tarting a theatre company.

Jean at the time was involved in the animated short THE MAN WHO
PLANTED TREES which won an academy award that year.  (Jean did the
translation of the script from french and got Chris Plummer to do the
narration).

I also see she won the order of Canada in 2011.
http://news.gc.ca/web/article-eng.do?nid=613509

I am dismayed that there has been no obituary published in the news
media so far.  Ms Roberts was truly a luminary in Canadian theatre.

It has been more then 25 years since we last spoke, but I recall her fondly.

Brian Morton
Hamilton Fringe Festival