Jean Roberts and Marigold Charlesworth: Their Legacies

Denis Salter, Prof. denis.salter at MCGILL.CA
Tue Dec 18 15:34:52 EST 2012

Dear all

Apropos the legacies of both Jean Roberts and Marigold Charlesworth, I feel that I should mention there is an extraordinary array of primary source materials for most if not all of their careers carefully organized into boxes and housed in Libraries and Archives Canada (it's a good thing the material was catalogued before the current, shocking cut-backs there).  I served as an external (academic) assessor of the collection: I therefore went thoroughly through every box and file folder-and examined videocassettes, etc.--and though I knew about their work, together and individually, I was astonished by the breadth and depth of it.  I mention all this not only to indicate there are these precious legacies in material form, but that the material would be ideal as a basis or as bases for M.A. and doctoral theses and dissertations, and for a book, perhaps more than one.  I concluded that one can't even begin to understand the full complexities of the multiple narratives of our contemporary theatre history unless one has studied their work in thoughtful detail.

Denis