MA and PhD Programs at the University of Toronto

Bruce Barton bruce.barton at UTORONTO.CA
Wed Dec 19 12:00:22 EST 2012

MA and PhD Programs at the University of Toronto
CENTRE FOR DRAMA, THEATRE AND PERFORMANCE STUDIES
Application Deadline: January 31st, 2013 (February 15th, 2013 for all supporting documents)

For over 40 years the University of Toronto has been the home of Canada’s foremost MA and PhD Theatre programs. In 2012/13, that hasn’t changed – although our name has. In January 2012 we became the Centre for Drama, Theatre and Performance Studies, reflecting a decades-long evolution in priorities, personnel, and purpose.

Of course, the “Drama Centre” was never restricted solely to the study of drama. However, embracing the dominant shifts and widening of focus within our discipline, the Centre’s activities have, over the years, undergone conspicuous expansion into all aspects of theatre and performance studies in addition to dramatic literature. Fostering advanced inquiry into dramaturgy, interdisciplinarity, and intermediality, the Centre’s programs provide unparalleled diversity and breadth in Canadian post-graduate study in a unique intersection of scholarly and creative fields. Furthermore, as a ‘centre,’ we also offer access to a broad range of internationally recognized scholars from across the University of Toronto’s many departments and programs, whose expertise can be creatively integrated into an individual student’s self-authored plan of study. In addition, the Centre’s historic emphasis on the integration of theory and practice has, in recent years, been formalized into ample opportunities for practice-based research within both graduate programs.

With its increased core faculty complement and enhanced facilities, the Centre for Drama, Theatre and Performance Studies now bears a name that accurately reflects the spectrum of possibilities that the University of Toronto experience offers students interested in all aspects of performance.

For detailed information about the application process, our programs, facilities, course offerings, faculty members’ research and creative activities, and season of performance events, as well as the many, many advantages of studying in the very heart of the largest and most thriving city in the country, visit our website:

http://www.graddrama.utoronto.ca/

Bruce Barton, Associate Director (Graduate)
Centre for Drama, Theatre and Performance Studies
(Formerly the Graduate Centre for Study of Drama)
University of Toronto
214 College Street, 3rd floor
Toronto, Ontario, CANADA / M5T 2Z9
Phone: 416-978-7983 (direct) / 416-978-7980 (main)
Fax: 416-971-1378
E-Mail: gc.graddrama at utoronto.ca
Website: http://graddrama.utoronto.ca