ASTR CFP: Culture, Citizenship, and Mass Spectacle

Keren Zaiontz keren.zaiontz at UTORONTO.CA
Fri May 4 13:23:46 EDT 2012

**Apologies for cross-postings**

Dear All,

Please have a look at the CFP below. I am co-convening an ASTR panel
on citizenship and mass spectacle with Kimberley Jannarone. If you
have any questions feel free to contact me.

Looking forward to seeing many of you at CATR.

With best wishes,
Keren

American Society for Theater Research 2012 Working Group Session CFP:
Culture, Citizenship, and Mass Spectacle

Convened by Kimberly Jannarone, University of California, Santa Cruz, (kmj at ucsc.edu
) and
Keren Zaiontz, Roehampton University, London UK (keren.zaiontz at roehampton.ac.uk
)

This seminar addresses how mass spectacle mobilises citizens to
express modes of cultural belonging. We seek papers that will
contribute to a critical dialogue on the role of large-scale events in
the formation of citizenship. From the official gathering of North
Korean citizens openly weeping for the death of Kim Jong-il to the
unofficial gathering of illegal citizens to sing the American national
anthem in Spanish, citizenship relies on the appeals and
contradictions of theatrical display.  Theatricality's ability to
transform subjects into citizens is a globalized practice claimed by
both the state and the stateless.  Both can turn to mass choreography,
song, speeches, and orchestrated visual display to give shape and
power to their political ideologies.  Artists have long been integral
to the infrastructure of public spectacle.  The utopian possibilities
they promote make them key to how citizenship is enacted through the
immediacy of mass bodies.

We invite essays that analyze the co-creative roles of artists and
citizens in the formation of festivals, world’s fairs, revolutionary
spectacles, mass choreographies, Olympic ceremonies, Occupy movements,
and other mass forms crossing performance genres and political lines.
Essays might consider the following questions:

·  What role do communities play in creating or resisting patriotic
definitions of the nation sponsored by the state?
·  How might artists and activists stage “counter-nationalist modes of
belonging” (Butler) through public art events, and how might those
modes travel across ideological lines?
·  Can state- and corporate-sponsored events make room for spaces of
critical dialogue and civil dissent?  Or does such sponsorship create
its own political charge?
·  How does the relationship between the audience and the performer
define itself when there are thousands of participants, and when does
the sheer number of orchestrated or gathered bodies mandate its own
rules for that relationship?

Papers are welcome addressing any era and place of performance history.

Session Format

This session will take the form of a focused three-hour seminar.
Participants will be expected to read and discuss their papers with
selected other members of the group in advance of the November
session.  In addition to paper contributions, we will read selections
from theorists and fiction writers concerned with the protocols of
national performance. We will discuss how these disparate readings
inform our thinking on mass spectacle.  Authors will begin the seminar
by outlining and investigating points of intersection in their work.
The papers will be distributed not only among the seminar authors but
also, ideally, made available for interested ASTR members in order to
enable the highest degree of conversation possible once the seminar
convenes in Nashville.

Please send 250-300 word abstracts and a brief bio to the organizers
NO LATER than MAY 31, 2012 at kmj at ucsc.edu and keren.zaiontz at roehampton.ac.uk