CFP: CATR 2013 Linking Teaching and Research in Post-Secondary Theatre Environments

James McKinnon james.mckinnon at UTORONTO.CA
Mon Nov 19 19:07:52 EST 2012

Linking Teaching and Research in Post-Secondary Theatre Environments
Seminar Chairs: James McKinnon and Barry Freeman

CATR/ACRT Conference 2013, University of Victoria (Canadian
Association for Theatre Research/Association Canadienne de la
recherche théâtrale).

Building on the success of the 2012 ?Creative/Critical Pedagogy
Seminar? we seek participants who are interested in creating
productive intersections between teaching and research in
post-secondary theatre environments.

During the period of this project (January ? May 2013), participants
will use the ?action research? model1 to develop, share, and evaluate
teaching and learning strategies that contribute to positive teaching
and learning outcomes in their own environments, and which can be
disseminated and replicated in other contexts. We will focus in
particular on strategies that exploit the potential of theatre to
stimulate learning ? a goal shared by all drama and theatre academics
and educators, and also one which acknowledges that our discipline ?
to a greater extent than most ? constitutes not only a field of
knowledge to be taught and researched, but also a medium for both
teaching and research.

Each participant will plan and carry out an experiment that puts drama
and theatre in the service of a particular learning objective,
evaluate the efficacy of their strategy, reflect on the results ? and
disseminate the findings. During the process, we will connect
regularly through a blog, to exchange ideas, methods, resources, and
results. Participants will be expected to collaborate through the
blog, read and critique each other?s drafts, and contribute to our
public seminar at the CATR/ACRT Conference in Victoria, 1-4June 2012.
Through this process, participant will develop professional skills,
engage with scholarship on teaching and learning, and work
collaboratively toward peer-reviewed research outputs.

We invite proposals from scholar/educators in all areas of
post-secondary drama and theatre. Prospective participants should send
a bio along with a 250-word proposal to CATRPedagogy13 at gmail.com by 15
December 2012. Your proposal should briefly describe the challenge you
want to address in your particular teaching/learning context.

  1 See Norton, Lin S. Action Research in Teaching and Learning: A
Practical Guide to Conducting Pedagogical Research in Universities.
London: Routledge, 2009.