Seminar CFP: Pedagogies of Canadian Theatre, CATR2013

Robin C. Whittaker rwhit at STU.CA
Thu Oct 11 18:41:06 EDT 2012

/Seminar Call for Participants, CATR2013, Victoria B.C./

(Apologies for cross-posting)

Pedagogies of Canadian Theatre, or "Professor, There's a Country in My
Discourse!"

Organizer: Robin C. Whittaker, Assistant Professor, St. Thomas University

Most universities in Canada offer a dedicated course on "Canadian
Drama/Theatre." Indeed, "Canadian" is the most commonly professed
specialization among drama, theatre, and performance scholars across the
country, after "Shakespeare" (Whittaker /TRiC/ 32.1). But what are we
teaching, how, and to what end? What constitutes the pedagogy of
Canadian Drama/Theatre in the undergraduate and graduate classroom, both
here in Canada and abroad?

This seminar will wade into the collective consciousness of
post-secondary Canadian theatre instruction in order to generate guided
and meaningful discussion among those who teach Canadian plays, theatre
histories, and/or practices. We might consider: What plays, playwrights,
theories, and histories are being taught? What similarities and
differences exist in how these courses are structured? What approaches
are being applied in the classroom, studio, and beyond? And what
approaches may be unique to the teaching of Canadian drama/theatre?

Each interested participant is asked to submit a proposal that includes:

(a) a 300-word "Locative Statement" that describes her/his past
experiences and/or future plans for teaching Canadian theatre, and
her/his interest in being involved in "Pedagogies of Canadian Theatre";

(b) a real or hypothetical Course Outline for a Canadian Drama, Theatre,
and/or Performance course s/he has taught or would like to teach; and

(c) a 300-word "Statement of Pedagogy" providing a rationale for the
choice of texts, assignments, and approaches in this Course Outline.

A few months before CATR2013, selected seminar participants will share
their statements and syllabi with each other online to develop a set of
questions and findings pertaining to the teaching of Canadian
Drama/Theatre, using the accepted statements and course outlines as our
springboard. These questions and findings will be used to frame our
three-hour seminar in Victoria, in which we will develop and present to
the seminar participants and auditors a series of new
exercises/assignments for discussion.

Please email inquiries and proposals to the seminar organizer, Dr. Robin
C. Whittaker (rwhit at stu.ca <mailto:rwhit at stu.ca>), by 14 January 2013.
All scholars of English- and/or French-Canadian drama, theatre, and/or
performance (including graduate students and early-career scholars) in
Canada and abroad are encouraged to submit.

NB: All accepted participants are required to join CATR. For more
information on CATR and to join or renew your membership please visit
http://www.catr-actr.ca .

--
Robin C. Whittaker, PhD
Assistant Professor, Drama