This may be of interest to Canadian Theatre/ Drama Departments

Lynette Hunter lhunter at UCDAVIS.EDU
Sun Oct 14 14:47:27 EDT 2012

To argue that we 'overtrain' "(in the sense that supper far exceeds demand)
actor and other theatre students" is to ignore the list of trained areas
offered by Professor Irwin:
strong and transferable skills training, vibrant community building
activity, creative problem solving, enhanced tourist activity, and so forth.
this list could easily be extended.

Departments of English Literature 'overtrain' in the sense that students
rarely become creative writers, and only a small proportion become English
Literature teachers. The vast number develop transferable skills that equip
them to work in areas that require understanding of communication
strategies - from the law to banking to retail to social services to
medicine ...

Theatre, dance and performance university departments are often only
incidentally training people to enter professional performance activity.
This training has in the past been frequently more appropriately acquired
in conservatory systems. Today universities are the sites where far more
experimental work is possible, but students still rarely become
professionals.

Theatre, dance and performance in the university context are more likely to
train an understanding of both creative power and different kinds of
knowledge (especially practice-based and embodied knowledges that generate
new insights drawing from current issues around diversity and
globalisation), interpretation (in an exceptionally wide range of different
media not encountered in any other arts or humanities textual base), and
communication (using voice, body and gesture, spatial and material
visualization and implementation, and sociocultural media), as well as
academic exploration and argumentation.

*
*

The skills outcomes in departments of Theatre, Dance and Performance, are
also inherently interdisciplinary and collective, training students in the
pragmatics of problem-solving, negotiation, time- and material-management,
and project completion.

There are few other departments in a university in which students can be
trained for such a wide range of skills acquisition necessary for
contemporary society to adapt, change and flourish.

Lynette Hunter
Chair, Department of Theatre and Dance
Chair, Graduate Group in Performance Studies
University of California Davis
lhunter at ucdavis.edu