Reading Week Trip to London, UK

Kathryn Brennan brenna3 at UWINDSOR.CA
Wed Sep 26 10:50:33 EDT 2012

Dear Colleagues: I am hosting a Reading Week Theatre Tour to London, UK
from 17-23 February 2013. I would like to invite students from other
universities and colleges to join us on the trip. Please let your students
know if your Reading Week is during those dates.
Thank you.

Lionel

All needed information is below and I am happy to answer questions via
e-mail at walsha at uwindsor.ca. . Students who wish to participate, should
forward a deposit of $250 U.S. via money order or bank draft, made payable
to Select Travel Service, by 9 November in order to hold your space. Other
deposit deadlines are listed below. Please send your deposit to:

Lionel Walsh, Associate Dean
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
University of Windsor
Windsor, ON  N9B 3P4

Associate Professor
School of Dramatic Art
University of Windsor
Windsor, ON
N9B 3P4

If you have questions, please get in touch with me.

Lionel

E-mail:   walsha at uwindsor.ca
Phone:  519-253-3000  ext 2029

    Select Travel Service Inc, Country Club Plaza, West 115 Century Road, Suite 330,
                               Paramus, New Jersey 07652.
            Tel: 800.752.6787 Fax: 201.265.6126 E-Mail: info at selecttravel.com
                                  www.selecttravel.com

       For the attention of       :        University of Windsor Ontario

       Company                    :        Lionel Walsh

       Group Reference            :        London Theatre Studies

       Date of Travel             :        17 Feb 2013

       Date of proposal           :        12 Jun 2012

       Reference No               :        2325

       Prices quoted in US Dollars on a per person basis.

 Minimum 20 paying                        US$2,565.00 pp

 Minimum 15 paying                        US$2,675.00 pp

 Single room supplement                   $320.00

       The above prices are based on Standard Twin Room accommodation.
       Free places are in Single unless otherwise specified.
                             Services to be Provided
       Accommodation and meals:
             Roundtrip coach airfare from Detroit including taxes
             5 night(s) accommodation
             Breakfast daily
             1 Hotel dinner(s)
             1 Restaurant Meal(s)
             1 complimentary faculty travel package in a private room
             Porterage included at hotels: No
       Daily land services:

             Overnight flight from Detroit

             Morning arrival Heathrow
             Private motorcoach transfer Heathrow to hotel with panoramic
             tour
             5 Day Travel Card zones 1 & 2
             Historical Theatreland Walking Tour - Walking Tour
             Theatre Royal Drury Lane - Backstage Tour
             London West End Show - Ticket for evening performance
             Royal National Theatre - Backstage Tour
             Shakespeare's Globe Theatre - Workshop with Theatre Tour
             London Pub Theatre - Ticket for Pub theatre performance
             LAMDA - Workshop
             London West End Show - Ticket for evening performance
             Free day in London or optional Stratford excursion
             London Restaurant - Farewell Dinner - College Student Menu
             London West End Show - Ticket for evening performance
             Escorted transfer Hotel to Heathrow
             Return flight to Detroit

       Items not included in the price:
             Meals not specified above.
             Health, trip cancellation/interruption or baggage insurance.
             All are strongly recommended.
             Passport & visa costs.
             Items of a personal nature (hotel extras, laundry, phone calls
             etc.).
             Gratuities to the tour guides (see terms and conditions for
             guidelines).
             Items not specifically mentioned above.

       Optional Stratford Excursion

       Minimum 20 paying                     $107.00
                                             pp

       Minimum 15 paying                     $115.00
                                             pp

             London to Stratford Rail
             Ticket return ticket,
             standard class
             Stratford & RSC Walking
             Tour (2hrs)
             The Shakespeare
             Birthplace Trust -
             Admission to 2 houses
             Royal Shakespeare Theatre
             - Theatre Ticket
             RSC Workshop

       Optional Full Day London Guide
       for any day

       Minimum 20 paying plus 1 free         $24.00
       of charge                             pp

       Minimum 15 paying plus 1 free         $33.00
       of charge                             pp

       Any Day
             Guide - Full Day Hire

                                     Hotels

      Our proposal is based on the following hotels subject to the status
      indicated below.
|---------+-----------------------+------------+-------+----------------|
|  City   |         Hotel         |   Dates    |Option |Total number of |
|         |                       |            | Date  |   rooms held   |
|---------+-----------------------+------------+-------+----------------|
|      Lon|      Lancaster Gate   | 18/02/2013 |  On   |   On request   |
|      don|      Hotel or similar |for 5 nt(s) |request|                |
|         |                       |            |       |                |
|---------+-----------------------+------------+-------+----------------|
                                                       |                |
                                                        ----------------|

                              Itinerary of Services
|-----------+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-----------+--|
|    Day    |                                          Activity                                           | Overnight |  |
|-----------+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-----------+--|
|  Sunday   |                                                                                             |Continental|  |
|   17th    |                                                                                             | Breakfast |  |
| February  |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |  London   |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|  Monday   |                                                                                             |           |  |
|   18th    |                                                                                             |           |  |
| February  |      10pm Overnight non stop Delta flight from Detroit to London.                           |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |      Late morning touchdown at Heathrow. We'll meet our local London guide at the airport.  |           |  |
|           |      Enroute into the centre, enjoy a panoramic London highlights tour during which we'll   |           |  |
|           |      see all the major sights of both London's Old City and vibrant West End. Suitable for  |           |  |
|           |      those visiting for the first time, or those just wishing to re-acquaint themselves with|           |  |
|           |      the Capital's charms, this tour is London in a nutshell! We'll drive past such famous  |           |  |
|           |      sights as Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square, then along the river to the    |           |  |
|           |      Tower of London. No interior visits are included in this tour, but photo stops will be |           |  |
|           |      made at appropriate points. Tour ends at the hotel for check-in.                       |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |      London is one of the world's most popular cities. People have flocked to the city for  |           |  |
|           |      tourism and business alike for over two thousand years. Today London has the greatest  |           |  |
|           |      concentration of major attractions in Britain, boasts four World Heritage Sites, and is|           |  |
|           |      renowned throughout the world for its shops, museums, parks and cosmopolitan life.     |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |      Your London Transport Pass commences. It is valid for 5 days and provides you with free|           |  |
|           |      transport on the underground and London buses within zones 1 and 2 on the transport    |           |  |
|           |      network.                                                                               |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |      This evening a welcome dinner is provided at a local London restaurant.                |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |      Overnight at the Lancaster Gate Hotel. London or similar                               |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|-----------+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-----------+--|
|  Tuesday  |                                                                                             |Continental|  |
|   19th    |                                                                                             | Breakfast |  |
| February  |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |  London   |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |      Morning Theatreland Walking Tour on the theme of "100 Years of London Theatre". Trace  |           |  |
|           |      theatreland's history from Edwardian Music Hall and Suffragette Drama via revues,      |           |  |
|           |      musicals, theatre clubs and battles with the censor to subsidy and the fringe. Learn   |           |  |
|           |      about personalities who have shaped theatre in the past 100 years from Charles Wyndham |           |  |
|           |      and Herbert Beerbohm Tree to Andrew Lloyd Webber and Cameron Mackintosh.               |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |      Afternoon tour backstage at the theatre Royal Drury Lane, one of London's oldest and   |           |  |
|           |      best-loved theatres. The first theatre was built here in 1663 and the building we'll   |           |  |
|           |      tour today is the fourth incarnation!Our tour of this historic theatre will show us the|           |  |
|           |      Royal Box, the Royal entrance, lifting gear and much more.                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |      Tonight we will attend a performance at one of London's famous West End theatres.      |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |      Overnight at the Lancaster Gate Hotel. London                                          |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|-----------+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-----------+--|
| Wednesday |                                                                                             |Continental|  |
|   20th    |                                                                                             | Breakfast |  |
| February  |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |  London   |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |      This morning enjoy a National Theatre backstage tour. The tour takes you behind-the    |           |  |
|           |      scenes to see three auditoriums, front-of-house, scenic workshops and backstage areas, |           |  |
|           |      all in the company of well-informed, enthusiastic guides.                              |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |      Afterwards visit Shakespeare's Globe Theatre on London's South Bank. Tour the          |           |  |
|           |      magnificent reconstruction of this 16th century theatre and enjoy a theatrical workshop|           |  |
|           |      on a subject of your choice, led by the Globe's highly knowledgeable education team.   |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |      This evening a ticket for a performance at a Pub or Fringe Theatre is provided         |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |      Overnight at the Lancaster Gate Hotel. London                                          |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|-----------+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-----------+--|
| Thursday  |                                                                                             |Continental|  |
|   21st    |                                                                                             | Breakfast |  |
| February  |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |  London   |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |      Enjoy a workshop at LAMDA - the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art. Workshop     |           |  |
|           |      subject is a the choice of visiting faculty.                                           |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |      Afternoon for independent study.                                                       |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |      Tonight we will attend a performance at one of London's famous West End theatres, or   |           |  |
|           |      the National Theatre.                                                                  |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |      Overnight at the Lancaster Gate Hotel. London                                          |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|-----------+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-----------+--|
|  Friday   |                                                                                             |Continental|  |
|   22nd    |                                                                                             | Breakfast |  |
| February  |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |  London   |  |
|           |      Optional excursion to Stratford                                                        |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |      A ticket is provided to travel from London to Stratford by train.                      |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |      Jonathan Milton, a leading theatre expert in Stratford, will give us a guided tour of  |           |  |
|           |      the theatrical highlights of Shakespeare's home town                                   |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |      Visits to two Shakespearean properties have been arranged. Shakespeare's Birthplace is |           |  |
|           |      a half timbered house, where Shakespeare was born in 1564. The house offers a          |           |  |
|           |      fascinating insight into life as it was when Shakespeare was a child. Just outside     |           |  |
|           |      Stratford lies Anne Hathaway's Cottage, the childhood home of Shakespeare's wife. This |           |  |
|           |      picturesque thatched cottage has a a charming cottage garden and a tree and sculpture  |           |  |
|           |      garden including a maze.                                                               |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |      Enjoy a half day workshop on any Shakespeare text, organised with the RSC in Stratford.|           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |      A ticket is provided to a Shakespeare performance at the RSC theatre in Stratford.     |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |      This evening dinner is provided at a local London restaurant or Stratford restaurant if|           |  |
|           |      that excursion is selected.                                                            |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |      Tonight we will attend a performance at one of London's famous West End theatres or at |           |  |
|           |      RST if Stratford trip selected.                                                        |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |      Overnight at the Lancaster Gate Hotel. London                                          |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|-----------+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-----------+--|
| Saturday  |                                                                                             |           |  |
|   23rd    |                                                                                             |           |  |
| February  |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |      This morning an executive motorocoach is provided for transfer from the hotel to       |           |  |
|           |      Heathrow airport.                                                                      |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |      We will be met at our hotel by a local guide who will escort us to Heathrow and assist |           |  |
|           |      us with check-in for our non stop Delta flight arriving in Detroit later the same day. |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|           |                                                                                             |           |  |
|-----------+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-----------+--|

      All prices quoted in this proposal are valid for 45 days from the
      date of this proposal. If confirmation is not received within this
      time frame, Select Travel Service reserves the right to requote.

      We thank you again for considering Select Travel Service. We pride
      ourselves on providing a first class service with a personal touch
      and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming your students to
      Europe.

      I have read and accept the above proposal and agree to abide by the
      terms and conditions specified.