Congress Child Care

Allana Lindgren aclind at UVIC.CA
Thu Apr 4 18:58:01 EDT 2013

Dear Colleagues,

I am passing on information about child care options at the Congress.

Here is the information from the Congress website:

Child care services
"There are many child care providers in Victoria and several within close proximity of the University of Victoria. To determine which individuals or day care centres have availability during Congress, contact Victoria Child Care Resource and Referral at www.childcarevictoria.ca. Requests can be submitted by completing the online referral form.

"Arrangement should be made well in advance of Congress. Conducting a phone interview with any potential child care providers will determine if the setting a good fit. To ensure space has been secured, check in with the provider on a monthly basis."

I have also been in contact with local administrator for the Congress. Here is a summary of her comments: "UVic and the Congress are still exploring on-site options. The university is more than happy to help provide support in some way around options that come forward. Unfortunately there are two factors for consideration .... 1) availability of day care (which we have been able to confirm for children 3+); and 2) providing daycare subsidy. The subsidy issue is a much larger one. The Federation is working to establish a policy that will live beyond 2013.The administrators at the Congress office in Ottawa are sensitive to the concerns and view providing a child care option during the Congress as a priority. Having said this, it will take time for them to secure/allocate funding, establish policy and then develop systems that can be implemented. Hopefully this can be expedited or a short-term measure identified for 2013."

I hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,
Allana

---
Dr. Allana C. Lindgren
Associate Professor
Department of Theatre
University of Victoria
PO Box 1700, STN CSC
Victoria, British Columbia
CANADA   V8W 2Y2
Phone: 250.721.8005
Email: aclind at uvic.ca
Web: http://finearts.uvic.ca/theatre/

"How do we value the humanities in the market-place of today? [...] What can be more practical in modern business or industry or public administration than the work of young men or women who have been trained to think clearly, to organize their ideas, to detect the essential points of an argument, to express themselves effectively and, it may be added, with economy in words? All this should be in the gift of a liberal education."
-- Vincent Massey, On Being Canadian (1948)