Theatre Museum questions for Eric Peterson

Brian Morton mortonbg1999 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Dec 18 12:50:49 EST 2013

I am always interested in the process of his work.  Especially his one
person shows - Tom Cone's HERRINGBONE which he and John Gray did just
before BILLY BISHOP, and then HEALTH which they did in the late 1980s
at the Vancouver Playhouse.

I think my favorite role of his roles was the cello player in Patrick
Suskind's THE DOUBLE BASS at the Tarragon.  Again he has a real gift
for a very direct communication with an audience.

It was great to see the revival of BILLY BISHOP at Soulpepper a few
years back - I love the fact that he has changed around the accents
for the various characters - for example the soldier that tells Bishop
to join the RFC in the original production (also filmed by the BBC in
1983) was Cockney - "Calvary charges against machine guns DA DA  DA
DA! With you in the middle of it mate"...   At Soulpepper the
character was now Scottish.  It is like Eric is a one man repertory
company - and he can swap them all round at will...

A very compelling person to interview I think..