Full-Time Tenure Track Position in Theatre - Trinity Western University

Aida Jordao a.jordao at UTORONTO.CA
Thu Feb 7 12:13:29 EST 2013

Thanks for the link, Simon. Performance Studies (note I've capitalized it as per the new departments) might be able to tackle the second question I posed on "ethical theatre training". It reeks of a most insidious censorship to me. I imagine that the moralists out there are rubbing their hands in glee. (I don't mean the people on this list...)
Aida

--
Aida Jordão
PhD Candidate, The Centre for Drama, Theatre and Performance Studies
University of Toronto

________________________________
From: Simon du Toit [sdutoit at uwindsor.ca]
Sent: February 7, 2013 11:52 AM
To: Aida Jordao
Cc: CANDRAMA at LISTSERV.UNB.CA
Subject: Re: Full-Time Tenure Track Position in Theatre - Trinity Western University

Hi Aida et al

The issue you raise is complex, but it's not new.  There are a few private Canadian institutions that have the right under the law to discriminate on the basis of religious affiliation, of which TWU is one. The practice is much more widely accepted in the U.S., where there are hundreds of such institutions.  The CAUT has been conducting investigations of some of those Canadian schools, although not on the basis of a complaint filed by any faculty member of the schools in question. Here's a report on one such investigation:

http://www.caut.ca/pages.asp?page=978&lang=1

This issue has implications for much larger questions, about whether we are able to tolerate religious voices in a democracy. See for example the Bouchard Taylor Commission. Does our national vision of multicultural diversity include religion? What if that religion itself excludes others? These are complex ethical issues, as Tibor's note suggests. I, for one, think that the insistence on rational discourse alone in higher education is itself an exclusionary tactic that privileges certain voices and interests. Performance studies has an important contribution to make to the discussion, so I think it's a good topic for all of us.

Regards,

Simon

Simon W. du Toit
B.Ed., M.F.A., Ph.D.
Undergraduate Chair, Communication, Media, and Film
Sessional Instructor, School of Dramatic Art
Room 4113, Lambton Tower; (519) 253-3000 x2847
University of Windsor