Sad news

Aida Jordao a.jordao at UTORONTO.CA
Fri Jan 4 10:50:49 EST 2013

Dear Louise,
Thank you so much for this very moving notice.
I'm sitting here thinking of the Nightwood production of The Edge of the Earth with Kim as Violette, and Sky was in it too. At the Poor Alex.
Well, I've still got the program and it has a beautiful pic of Jovette and her cat. I can try to scan it for you if you don't have it Louise.
Aida

--
Aida Jordão
PhD Candidate, The Centre for Drama, Theatre and Performance Studies
University of Toronto

________________________________
From: Canadian Theatre Research [CANDRAMA at LISTSERV.UNB.CA] on behalf of Louise Forsyth [louise.forsyth at SHAW.CA]
Sent: January 2, 2013 12:10 PM
To: CANDRAMA at LISTSERV.UNB.CA
Subject: Sad news

Dear colleagues,

Québec playwright, sculptor and novelist Jovette Marchessault died on Dec. 31. She was 74 (1938-2012). She was recognized as Honorary Member of CATR/ARTC in 1999 for her outstanding, original and beautiful body of dramatic works. She was, in fact, the first Québec woman to create a major dramatic feminist oeuvre: Vaches de Nuit (Night Cows), La Saga des poules mouillées, La Terre est trop courte, Violette Leduc (The Edge of Earth is Too Near, Violette Leduc), Anaïs dans la queue de la comète, Le Voyage magnifique d’Emily Carr (Governor General Prize), Le Lion de Bangor, Madame Blavatsky, spirite, Le Pérégrin chérubinique. Often interpreted by Pol Pelletier, she was – visionary poet, feminist, lesbian – the leading pioneer playwright in the emergence in Québec of an impressive cohort of feminist playwrights in the 1980s and continuing until today.

Her pride in her First Nations heritage, her profound resonance with the natural world and her close touch with those who had been marginalized for one reason or other by society gave her an artist’s voice of major significance and resonance. Her integrity in remaining true to her own path has been amazing through the decades. She was an intensely practical person closely attached to the material world and, at the same time, a visionary beacon whose death leaves an aching void.