Reminder: Proposal for Plaque honouring George Luscombe and Toronto Workshop Productions

Luella Massey l.massey at UTORONTO.CA
Fri Jan 25 16:56:17 EST 2013

Donations have been coming in but they still need more.
Donations received after the deadline of February 1 will likely still be
honoured
For more info contact the friends of TWP

Karen Luscombe (daughter of George Luscombe) and the friends of Toronto
Workshop Productions (TWP) are working with Heritage Toronto to install
a plaque at the former TWP, currently Buddies in Bad Times Theatre.  The
plaque will honour the legacy of George Luscombe and celebrate the
history of TWP.
To this end, they are looking for donations to assist with costs (a
total of $5500 required) which must be collected prior to February 1, 2013.

Charitable receipts are available from Heritage Toronto for any gift of
$10 or more and your contribution will be acknowledged at the unveiling
ceremony.

Please read below a letter from Karen and the friends of TWP for more
details.

Dec 1^st , 2012

Dear Friend of Toronto Workshops Productions:

We write to inform you of an important heritage initiative and to seek
your financial support to ensure its success.

Last year, we submitted an application to Heritage Toronto to have a
municipal heritage plaque erected to honour George Luscombe and his
internationally-acclaimed theatre company, Toronto Workshop Productions.

This plaque will commemorate the life, work and artistic legacy of
George Luscombe (1926-1999), founder and director of Toronto Workshop
Productions. Founded in 1959, TWP built Toronto's first alternative
theatre stage in this building at 12 Alexander in 1967. For the next
twenty-five years, George Luscombe's dream of a socially-engaged theatre
ensemble produced some of the greatest hits of Canadian theatre. In
plays such as /Hey Rube!,/ /Chicago '70/ and /Ten Lost Years/, he
pioneered a vigorous, improvisational theatre style that specialized in
turning non-dramatic and documentary material into spellbinding theatre.
His fierce commitment to rigorous training and his enduring belief that
theatre must be socially and politically relevant inspired the
generations of actors, playwrights, directors and designers who trained
under him and who helped make Toronto into a major theatre capital.
George Luscombe dedicated his career to building a living theatre art in
this city, and countless artists and audiences that have passed through
this theatre bear witness to his genius.**

-- Professor Alan Filewod, University of Guelph

 The /Friends of Toronto Workshop Productions/ and Heritage Toronto
consider this project a welcome opportunity to celebrate the legacy of
George Luscombe and the history of /TWP/ with a beautiful and
informative plaque at the former site of Toronto Workshop Productions,
now operated by Buddies in Bad Times Theatre. Our collective efforts in
supporting this plaque will contribute to a sense of pride and community
engagement.

We need your support as well to make it a successful reality.

Heritage Toronto is a charitable organization that works with the
citizens of Toronto to advocate for, preserve and promote a greater
appreciation for our city's diverse heritage. A Heritage Toronto plaque
requires $5,500 for the plaque's fabrication and installation.

Heritage Toronto will assist us by acting as steward of fundraising
activities. We need to have the funds in place by Feb. 1st in order to
have the plaque completed on time for an unveiling ceremony. Your
contribution, made out to Heritage Toronto, in trust for the George
Luscombe and Toronto Workshop Productions plaque project will be
eligible for a tax receipt from Heritage Toronto for gifts of $10 or more.

As a donor, your name and/or company name would appear on a list of
donors prominently displayed at the unveiling ceremony.

Your personal and confidential information remains with Heritage Toronto.
Cheques may be sent to Heritage Toronto, St. Lawrence Hall, 157 King
Street East, 3^rd Floor, Toronto M5C 1G9.
All donors will be welcomed as special guests and recognized at our
unveiling ceremony.

We hope that you will seriously consider supporting this cultural
endeavour, which will benefit not only our community, but the entire
City. Should you require additional information, feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,
Karen Luscombe, and /The Friends of TWP/
luscombe1 at bell.net