Sad news

Cassandra Silver cassandra.silver at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jul 17 11:24:06 EDT 2013

>From John Astington:

*****

Lou Massey died in the night of 15/16 July 2013, at Sunnybrook Hospital,
Toronto, after a rapid decline in her health; she had been coping, in her
traditionally stoic style, with cancer treatment for some years. We shall
all miss her; our first sympathies are with her immediate family.

Luella Massey (1953-2013) spent most of her adult life at the University of
Toronto, and worked for the Drama Centre for thirty-five years. She lent
much of her own character to that of the Centre over that time, and was
unremittingly hard-working, generous, meticulous, and tough; we shall not
be the same place without her.

Lou gave of herself to faculty, students, colleagues, and all the people
she welcomed and guided, whether visiting faculty for conferences and
talks, or those from the wider theatrical community in Toronto and beyond.
Generations of students who met and worked with her have produced a network
of friends across Canada and throughout the world, remembering her with
gratitude and affection.

There will be an obituary in Thursday's Toronto Star. Visitations
and funeral will take place at the Humphrey Funeral Home, 1403 Bayview
Ave Toronto, ON M4G 3A8. Visitations will be on Friday July 19th, 2 p.m. to
4 p.m. and 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. and the service will be held at the funeral
home on Saturday at 1 p.m. with a small reception to follow.

John H. Astington
Acting Director, Centre for Drama, Theatre, and Performance Studies