plays with alternate endings

Paul Halferty paulhalferty at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 20 20:21:24 EDT 2013

Hello To All,

The published version of John Herbert's *Fortune and Men's Eyes* is not
what was originally performed at the Actors Playhouse in New York, or on
the tour which that production took across North America in 1967-68. In the
performed version, Smitty's seminal threat, which he addresses to the
audience and which concludes the play, "I'll pay you all back," was cut.
This change was made at the request of the play's original director,
Mitchell Nestor.

Best,
Paul