Survey: Pedagogies of Canadian Theatre

Robin C. Whittaker rwhit at STU.CA
Tue May 21 18:02:18 EDT 2013

Dear Candrama folks,

Over the past few months, members of the CATR2013 Seminar "Pedagogies of
Canadian Theatre, or 'Professor, There's a Country in My Discourse!'"
have been sharing ideas about teaching Canadian Drama, Theatre, and
Performance (Canadian DTP) amongst ourselves. Now, in advance of our
meeting in Victoria next weekend, we are interested in hearing from YOU
on some of the topics we've been discussing.

Canadian DTP is one of the most-taught DTP subjects in Theatre and
English departments across Canada. For those who are graduates of a
Canadian DTP course or two, what has stayed with you most from those
Canadian courses? If you are a theatre artist, how do these courses
influence your work to this day? (And if not, why not?)

For those who are instructors (past and present) of Canadian DTP:
What approaches and/or challenges have you found to be particular to
teaching Canadian DTP?
How does the notion, if any, of a Canadian "canon" influence your syllabi?
How does contemporary scholarship influence your teaching of Canadian DTP?
How has your teaching of Canadian DTP changed over the years?
And if you teach Canadian DTP outside of Canada, what special
considerations might there be?

We're hoping to receive answers from as many of you as possible,
scholars and artists both new and experienced. Don't feel you need to
answer every question (but please do if you like!).

Please respond offlist to my email address ( rwhit at stu.ca ) by this
Sunday, May 26. We'll include a discussion of these responses during our
seminar timeslot in Victoria.

All the best, and I look forward to seeing many of you on the West Coast!

Robin.
Seminar Organizer, "Pedagogies of Canadian Theatre"

--
Dr. Robin C. Whittaker
Assistant Professor, Drama
rwhit at stu.ca