New grad program name

Marlis Schweitzer schweit at YORKU.CA
Thu May 30 11:43:05 EDT 2013

We are pleased to announce that the Graduate Program in Theatre Studies
at York is now the *Graduate Program in Theatre and Performance Studies*.

The change in program and degree name to Theatre and Performance Studies
represents the culmination of a multi-year review process that has
included the revision of our program sub-fields of specialization,
changes to degree requirements, the arrival of new faculty, and the
expansion of the graduate program membership to include colleagues from
numerous departments across the university. We encourage our students to
develop an interdisciplinary understanding of theatre and performance by
taking courses, and working closely with, supervisory faculty who come
from diverse backgrounds in a range of fields.

The Graduate Program in Theatre and Performance Studies offers two
degrees, an MA and PhD, both of which emphasize our collective interest
in *theatre, performance, and cultural politics. *For us, this means
teaching classes that explore performance both onstage and in everyday
life in order to highlight the cultural, political, material, and
ideological dimensions of performance practices, both past and present.
Studying performances across a broad range of cultural contexts--in
theatres, galleries, rituals, the media, the streets, the political
arena, mass spectacles, interpersonal interactions, etc.--helps to
capture performance's potential to frame critically nuanced responses to
public events, and thus to model politically and ethically engaged forms
of public life.

Our areas of program specialization, which structure our curriculum and
degree requirements, reflect this focus. They include:

·Canadian Theatre and Cultural Politics

·Postcolonialism and Globalization

·Cultural Policy and Theatrical Economies

·Gender and Sexuality

·Embodiment and Cultural Memory

·Environment and Cultural Geography

·Critical Pedagogy and Community Engagement

·Intermediality and Technology

These areas foreground the spirit of political inquiry and
practice-based experimentation central to the particular faculty
research projects and centres that are connected to our program,
including the Centre for Imaginative Ethnography
<http://imaginativeethnography.org/>; Sensorium: Digital Arts and
Technology Research <http://finearts.yorku.ca/sensorium>; Future Cinema
Lab <http://futurecinema.ca/>, /In/Tensions
<http://www.yorku.ca/intent/>; and the Performance Studies (Canada)
Project <http://performancecanada.com/>.

We take seriously York's commitment to forging a just and sustainable
world through critical and artistic inquiry and encourage our students
to do the same.

For more information, please visit our program website at
http://theatre-studies.gradstudies.yorku.ca/.

--
Marlis Schweitzer
Associate Professor