CFP - ATHE 2014 -Angels in America

Wes Pearce Wes.Pearce at UREGINA.CA
Fri Oct 4 16:25:42 EDT 2013

ATHE 2014 is set for July 24 to 27 in Scottsdale Arizona with the theme - Dream Acts: Performance as Refuge, Resistance, and Renewal
To that end, Vanessa Campagna (WTP)  and  myself (LQBTQ) are in the process of coordinating an interdisciplinary panel that (re)examines Angels in America (post millennium). This idea inspired (in part) by the Performing Angels conference at the University of Missouri last April as well as the two recent critically acclaimed revivals of Angels (Signature Theatre in NYC and Soulpepper in Toronto).It seems that Angels,  a new Angels, is once again in the air and a part of the zeitgeist.
 It has been almost a generation since Millennium Approaches opened and as the discourse around the two recent productions made clear the plays read, play and are received somewhat (and in some cases radically) differently now than in the mid 1990s. There has not, however, been a great deal of critical discourse around Angels since the late 1990s and we feel that the upcoming conference is a good time to begin this re-examination.
We are looking for participants to be a part of this panel which seeks to examine (as broadly as possible) the notion of 'utopic dreams and nightmare visions' found within Kusher's opus. We are at a very early stage and so are looking for folks who might be interested in contributing and exploring this idea with us...roundtable, papers or workshop...we're not sure of the form yet but we think investigating angels in the middle of the desert is an important idea!

Submissions should include title, 200 word abstract all relevant contact information  and be received no later than October 21, 2013 to the below addresses.

For further information interested participants can contact Wes Pearce  - wes.pearce at uregina.ca  AND Vanessa Campagna -   vanessa.campagna at hotmail.com  OR vmcq6b at mail.missouri.edu

Best,

Wes and Vanessa!

Wes D. Pearce