Fwd: [ATHE T&C] "Im/Possibilities" of Performance Roundtable Series CFP: submit abstract by 10/24/13!

Susanne Shawyer sshawyer at GMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 9 07:45:53 EDT 2013

See CFP below for details.
Susanne

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jane Barnette <jbarne48 at kennesaw.edu>
Date: Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 6:39 AM
Subject: [ATHE T&C] "Im/Possibilities" of Performance Roundtable Series
CFP: submit abstract by 10/24/13!
To: Criticism Theory & <athetcfg at googlegroups.com>

Colleagues:

Please see the attached (and pasted below) CFP for the 2014 ATHE
conference. The Theory & Criticism Focus Group will be hosting a Roundtable
Series again (details follow) and we welcome inquiries about
multidisciplinary panels as well as fully formed session proposals. Please
contact me directly with any questions!

all best,
~jane

--
Jane Barnette, Ph.D.
Resident Dramaturg/Associate Professor

*************
Call for Papers: Theory and Criticism Focus Group of the
Association for Theatre in Higher Education (ATHE), 2014 conference
Scottsdale, AZ, July 24-27, 2014
"Im/Possibilities” of Performance Roundtable Series

as Refuge, Resistance, and Renewal,” the Theory and Criticism Focus Group
seeks praxis and scholarship that investigate the im/possibilities of
performance.

In some ways, all theatre centers on dream acts—performance provides a way
to imagine, to rehearse, and to conjure new realities. Each time we direct,
dramaturg, or enact a new performance, we embrace the various creative ways
that theatre makes the impossible possible.  Playwrights dream new worlds
into being. Actors use the “magic if” to imagine themselves into character.
Designers use shadow, color, and texture to bring the world of dreams into
the reality of live performance. Dramaturgs interpret and enlighten
dreamscapes onstage. Activists dream of a better world, and resist the
nightmare of passivity. At every turn, our dream acts are ideologically
grounded, shaped by cultural practices, historical moments, spatial
configurations, and moral philosophies.

The Theory and Criticism Focus Group invites you to explore the
im/possibilities of Dream Acts, an oasis where theory, practice, and play
come together. We aim to create a series of panels where scholars,
teachers, and practitioners can investigate, challenge, re-imagine, and
explode how historical or contemporary theatre-makers and theorists have
imagined, resisted, and renewed performance forms, thereby challenging
cultural practices, contesting ideological norms, and intervening in social
and political debates.

Theory and Criticism seeks submissions from theatre artists, pedagogues,
scholars, activists, philosophers, and critics interested in exploring the
notion of the im/possible in our roundtable series. Building on the
tradition of our previous panel series, we strive to include a diverse
range of participants from graduate students and emerging scholars, to
professional critics, established artists, and senior scholars. For the
2014 conference, we will host a series of discussions inspired by
individual position papers that take up the notion of the im/possible from
a range of disciplinary practices and methodological approaches. Questions
to consider include but are not limited to:
1) How has theatre or performance theory historically engaged with dream
acts? How do specific schools of criticism frame dreaming? What
contemporary or historical performances exemplify or resist the classic
imagination? How do new performance forms, or the new media landscape,
challenge our understandings of performance as a dream act?
2) How do we enact dreams (or im/possibilities) in performance pedagogy for
artistic or political purpose? What assumptions do performance pedagogy or
theatre history pedagogy make about the scope of students’ dreams, or what
knowledge and skills they should desire? What im/possible performance
pedagogy do you use, and why? How does your institution frustrate or
support refuge, resistance, and/or renewal on your campus and in your
community?
3) How can dreaming be harnessed for outreach or community engagement? What
can we learn from im/possible attempts to engage with publics and
counterpublics? How can dream acts work as criticism or activism? What are
the ethical considerations or
boundaries of dreaming or imaginary performances?
4) How can dreaming be embodied in performance? How are theories that
engage with notions of dream worlds and acts useful for performance
practice? How can
directors/designers be im/possible dreamers? How can im/possible praxis
challenge or
explode accepted performance practices?
5) How do notions of space, place, and location ground our sense of dream
acts? How can space be used imaginatively in performances? How does space
provide refuge for social and political debates, or resist ideological
norms?
6) How does dreaming relate to ideology? How do performances of dreams, or
dreamy performances, erase or reveal issues of labor, gender, race, and/or
class, in both the theatre and in the academy?

Position papers could take the form of a short essay, a manifesto, an
outreach exercise, a critical review, a theoretical musing, a research
report, a creative project, an interview, or an embodied performance
practice. Depending on the number of participants per roundtable, these
position papers will be an average of 7 minutes long each, or approximately
6 pages double-spaced.

The Theory and Criticism Focus Group will be accepting individual, 250–word
position paper abstracts for the Im/Possible roundtable series until
Thursday, October 24th, 2013. Submissions should include an abstract (250
words or less), a title, contact information (name, institutional
affiliation, email address, and phone number), a brief bio (50 words or
less), and any specific A/V requirements. Participants will be informed of
their acceptance by Tuesday, October 29th, and Theory and Criticism will
oversee the submission of the series panels through ATHE’s online proposal
process. Send your paper abstracts to Theory and Criticism focus group
conference planner Jane Barnette at jbarne48 at kennesaw.edu

Complete session proposals, sponsored by the Theory and Criticism Focus
Group
We also seek complete session proposals for the 2014 conference that
include a broad range of theoretical interrogations and applications. We
encourage multidisciplinary dialogues across the fields of performance
scholarship and seek participants from a variety of focus group
affiliations. Note that all multidisciplinary proposals must be authorized
by three sponsoring ATHE focus groups; please contact the appropriate focus
group conference planners and/or committee chair for authorization. (By
“authorization,” we mean that you contact the focus group representatives
to ensure that they would be interested in sponsoring your
multidisciplinary panel—this is a simple process that usually involves a
quick email exchange, but it should be done in advance of the proposal
deadline of November 1.) For a list of the ATHE focus group conference
planners visit http://www.athe.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=14 and click on the
desired focus group.

The Theory and Criticism Focus Group supports broad definitions of
criticism and performance, and therefore encourages a wide range of
examples and topics. Feel free to explore both historical and contemporary
critics and theorists, in popular culture, academic scholarship, and
performance praxis. Panel proposals that engage scholarly conversation in
creative ways are highly encouraged.

Complete session proposals (separate from the roundtable series) should be
submitted directly to ATHE:
http://www.athe.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&subarticlenbr=156. All
participants must be included in these proposals. The website includes
submission information and forms. The session proposal deadline is November
1st, 2014.

NOTES:
If you have any questions about the ATHE panel proposal submission process,
feel free to email Jane Barnette at jbarne48 at kennesaw.edu.

Single paper submissions (outside of our annual roundtable series or a
complete proposed
session) looking for a session home may contact jbarne48 at kennesaw.edu. To
expedite the feedback process, please include an abstract of your paper in
the query email.

Individuals do not need to be a member of Theory and Criticism or ATHE to
submit single presentations or panels. However, if chosen and scheduled,
participants must become members of ATHE by the time of the conference.