2015 cfp THEATRE ANNUAL

Erica Stevens Abbitt esabbitt at UWINDSOR.CA
Tue Aug 19 22:20:05 EDT 2014

Dear colleagues:
Since THEATRE ANNUAL has now revitalized and expanded its mandate to include Canadian theatre and performance, I thought you might find the following call for papers to be of interest.

Erica Stevens Abbitt
School of Dramatic Art
University of Windsor
THEATRE ANNUAL
A Journal of Theatre and Performance of the Americas

Call for Papers
2015 Issue

Theatre Annual is the oldest theatre periodical continuously published in America. With the 2015 volume, the journal marks a shift to a new focus and a new affiliation.  Re-subtitled “A Journal of Theatre and Performance of the Americas,” Theatre Annual is now an official publication of the American Theatre and Drama Society.  We construe “American” broadly to include North, Central, and South America and the Caribbean Islands.  Articles may treat work in these geographic areas; it may also treat work from these areas that is presented elsewhere in the world. Within this scope, we welcome articles on the history and ethnography of performance, drawing from such areas as theatre studies, performance studies, popular culture, music, anthropology, communication, dance, philosophy, folklore, history, and the special areas of interest that cross disciplinary lines.  Please note that the focus on theatre and performance largely precludes essays that focus on literary criticism or theory.

For the 2015 issue, we invite articles that help us celebrate and foreground our new title and affiliation.  Papers about any facet of Canadian, Latin American, or Caribbean theatre and performance will be especially welcome.  Essays about any facet of American theatre or performance presented in Europe, Asia, Africa, or Oceania will be of great interest.  Papers are welcome on any subject that fits the journal’s mission.

Submissions should follow the guidelines in The Chicago Manual of Style (endnotes, no Works Cited list).  Authors should submit articles as Word attachments to the editor, Dorothy Chansky, Department of Theatre and Dance, Texas Tech University, using the email address dorothychansky at gmail.com. In order to assist in the anonymous peerreview process, the author’s identity should not be revealed in the manuscript except on a separate title page that should also include full contact information (academic affiliation, mailing address, home, cell, and work telephone numbers, and email address). Articles should be 5000-6500 words long including notes. Illustrations are highly desirable; authors are responsible for securing rights. Submission deadline is December 15, 2014. Please allow eight weeks for a response.

Theatre Annual, founded in 1942 by the Theatre Library Association, is now published in the fall of each year by The College of William and Mary in Virginia. More information available at http://theatreannual.wm.edu/