Information about Canadian Entertainment Bureau

Cynthia Zimmerman czimmer at YORKU.CA
Wed Dec 3 11:25:20 EST 2014

I am wondering if Theatre Museum might have some information for you.

Cyndi

__________________

Prof.C.D.Zimmerman,
English Dept., Glendon College,
2275 Bayview Avenue,
Toronto, Ontario.  M4N 3M6
	. . .
416.487.6713 (phone)
416.487.6850 (fax)

On Wed, 3 Dec 2014, Sasha Kovacs wrote:

> Hi folks:
>
> I’m writing with a query about a bit of material that I’ve recently come across in my research. Perhaps the wealth of wisdom here could point me in the right direction regarding next steps.
>
> I’m currently a doctoral student at the University of Toronto doing research on the performances of E. Pauline Johnson. While doing some armchair research online, I found a digitized copy of magazine published in 1894 by an organization called the Canadian Entertainment Bureau. The magazine lists Pauline Johnson (then performing as Tekahionwake) as a recitalist available for hire. It seems to me that this was an agency that coordinated bookings for performers like Johnson, her partner Owen Smily, and other “leading Canadian celebrities.” The Bureau seems to have represented a plethora of performers (lecturers, recitalists, musicians).
>
> I am wondering if anyone has come across notice of this Canadian Entertainment Bureau before, or might be knowledgable about its operations? I’ve read about some connection between the Bureau and Ernest Shipman. Does that name ring a bell to anyone?
> Chiefly, I’m trying to find out where I might find archival material related to the Bureau’s operations. If I could get my hands on any ephemera, well
that would really be something. I can’t seem to find much about the company in my own work so far; that’s surprising to me only because this magazine looks quite professional, and seems to speak to the success of the company’s reach.