MA/PhD Program in Theatre & Performance Studies at York University

Laura Levin levin at YORKU.CA
Fri Dec 5 18:32:01 EST 2014

Hi all - Please forward widely.

The Graduate Program in Theatre & Performance Studies at York University (Toronto, Canada) is now accepting applications for Fall 2015. We offer two degrees, an MA and PhD, both of which emphasize our collective interest in theatre, performance, and cultural politics. The deadline to apply is January 14, 2015.

For us, this means teaching classes that explore performance both onstage and in everyday life in order to highlight the cultural, political, material, and ideological dimensions of performance practices, both past and present. Studying performances across a broad range of cultural contexts--in theatres, galleries, rituals, the media, the streets, the political arena, mass spectacles, interpersonal interactions, etc.--helps to capture performance's potential to frame critically nuanced responses to public events, and thus to model politically and ethically engaged forms of public life.

Other central features of our program include:

Critical Interdisciplinarity — We encourage our students to develop a rigorous interdisciplinary understanding of theatre and performance by taking courses, and working closely with, faculty who come from a range of disciplines throughout the university. Our location within the School of Arts, Media, Performance, and Design is essential to facilitating this approach, as the School’s curriculum is planned collaboratively each year to facilitate fluid movement among the programs, joint summer institutes and speaker series, and high-level interdisciplinary conversations across the arts.

Practice-based Research — We are passionate about bridging the divide between theory and practice in the study of performance, and many of our graduate courses explore how performance practice serves as a vital form of critical inquiry.  These courses take place in our state of the art studios and in diverse cultural spaces throughout Toronto, and involve frequent collaborations with MFA students and faculty.

Professional Placements and Fieldwork Experiences — Our program provides exciting professional placement and fieldwork experiences for students at both MA and PhD levels. Students receive course credit for working with leading theatre and performance companies, artists, festivals, journals, and conferences, both in Toronto and abroad.

If you have questions about the Graduate Program in Theatre & Performance Studies or the application process, please visit our website (http://theatre-studies.gradstudies.yorku.ca/) or contact gradthea at yorku.ca

--
Prof. Laura Levin
Director, MA/PhD Program in Theatre & Performance Studies, York University